pasteurizing in bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
So I have an idea but I wanted to ask your guys opinions. I want to pasturize in a 5 gallon bucket. I checked and the ones made from hdpe can withstand constant temps of up to 230 f. So I don't see why it could be an issue to pasteurize in one. Simply get 175° water and fill partially then put bottles in and close up the lid. I will use an airlock for pressure to escape. Even if the plastic leached which it shouldn't at that temp the bottles are sealed. So no harm done and if I have a bottle bomb no issue either because it will be contained. Thoughts?

If you start with 190deg. water and add 6 bottles temp should center around 145deg.

If you start with 190deg. water and add 6 bottles temp should center around 145deg.

how long should i let the bottles sit in the bath? 10 min is what the stove top pasteurizing calls for. would this be appropriate amount of time, i unfortunately dont have a large pot to accommodate the bottles. i was also thinking as long as you get to 160 eventually could, i add more bottles to the bucket, say like get them covered with hot water, let them equalize, then drain the water and add new hot water until they equalize to the desired temp. then simply let the whole thing cool. would this work ?
im just brainstorming ideas. sorry if its coming off noobish.

A rough estimate would be:

Weight of one bottle: we'll say 16 oz to make it simple.
Temperature of bottle: 70F

Thermal mass of bottle is 16oz x 70F = 1120 F-oz.

Mass of 1 pint of water = 16.64 oz (weight)
Temperature of water: 212F

Thermal mass of water is 16.64oz x 212F = 3527 F-oz.

3527 + 1120 = 4647 F-oz

4647 / 32.24oz weight = 144F

So putting one 12oz bottle of cider at room temperature into 1 gallon of boiling water should stabilize somewhere around 144F.

Lots of water, and lots of heat.

[The above doesn't take into account inefficiencies, and whatever other factors]

MC

Can you do this all with the caps on the bottles? I would assume so, but I'm just making sure for future reference.

That's what u do. Cap to hold the CO2 the heat to kill the yeast. I do 6 bottles at a time in a spaghetti pot.

Latest posts

Back