New to homebrewing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamNorfolk1982

Reaction score
Im getting all my equipment soon, fermenting bucket, demijohns, campden tabs, wine yeast, etc but wanted to know of a good recipe to try first as it will be my first attempt....i quite liked the sound of peach wine or apricot wine, Also can i just go to the fruit store and use shop brought fruits??

Fruit bought at a grocery can be fine, so long as you know what you are buying. You obviously want it to be in as good of condition as possible - fresher the better. It's not the season for it, but I find that farmers markets are usually a better bet when it comes to fruit. Do you want something quick, or something that takes a long time?

thats fine can get fresh fruits easy enough..something quick to start with would probably be a good idea

As long as they're FRESH fruits, not grocery fruits. Most grocery fruits are picked green to ripen on the truck before they hit the stores. Of course, that also depends on where you live in proximity to the growers. An alternative is to hit the frozen food section at the grocery. The fresh/frozen fruit there is harvested too ripe to make it for transport so they just flash freeze to resell in those bags. The sugar content is higher and makes for some great winemaking!!!

Good luck!!!

ok so i cant go to my greengrocers and use the fresh fruits, these would be collect from market and brought back to the shop daily??

If you have access to fresh fruits, I am truely envyous!!!! Out here in AZ, even though agriculture is a 2billion/yr industry, there's not a snowballs chance of finding a descent tomato, ear of corn, or green bean....

But yea, if they're coming locally you can use them and be sure to make LOTS!!!!

Great choices are fresh peaches to start. It can be done fairly fast, with good taste when 'young'. Just be sure to contain the pulp somehow. A brewers bag (mesh) will be your friend.

thanks....i understand the mesh bag/ piece of muslin..would i stone the peaches chop them up and bit add them to the bag put this into the fermenting bucket add boiling water??? is that the way to go

SamNorfolk1982 said:
thanks....i understand the mesh bag/ piece of muslin..would i stone the peaches chop them up and bit add them to the bag put this into the fermenting bucket add boiling water??? is that the way to go

If you don't have one, get a hydrometer. You'll need to add sugar to get a decent alcohol content. Shoot for a SG of 1.090 or so.

Boil the water before adding to sterilize, but be careful about adding boiling water to a plastic bucket, you can stress the plastic, and leach chemicals from it. Add the (Cooled) water then add potassium metabisulfite in the proper ratio (about 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons), and Pectic enzyme (1/2 oz for same 5 gallons) and let sit for 24hours. Then add sugar to bring the gravity up to the desired level (1.090 is a good starting point) and pitch your yeast. Add yeast nutrient as well if you feel your yeast might struggle.

Potassium metabisulfite is this cleaner/sterilser and is pectalose the same as pectic enzyme?

Back