Under Primed/Under Conditioned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deancox

Reaction score
A few of months back I decided to get back into brewing, and this was my first all grain.

I decided to do a brown ale. The milled grain bill weighed 11 lbs (but misplaced the recipe - so I can't tell you exactly what was in it.) I hopped it with an ounce of Galena at 60 minutes and an ounce of Goldings at 15 minutes. I ended up with 5+ gallons of lovely aromatic, sweet and tasty, deep brown (black coffee) wort with a specific gravity of 1.0471. I think I got pretty good efficiency from my sparging, correct?

I had started a vial of White Lab's Pitchable Liquid Yeast, " British Ale Yeast, WLP005, a few days prior and pitched it at 80 degrees and it took off in my plastic 7 gallon pail fermenter. It perked along nicely for about 10 days and I let it stay in the fermenter for another 20 days. When I was done there was a good 1/4+ inch of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter,

I bottled with a finished gravity of 1.011 and primed with 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar in a simple syrup. I calculate about a 4.71 ABV?

I bottled primarily in large bail & stopper bottles that originally held Fishers.

It has been a week and I know it is too soon, but I bottled a few small 12 oz test bottles so I could taste it over the next month, and the first one I opened has a definite spritz, but no real head and not much body....kind of like a Newcastle SuperLight.....not bad, but certainly not the rich taste I was anticipating.

Will the carbonation and conditioning continue over the next few weeks? Will the richness and mouthfeel come as part of that conditioning, or do I probably have a beginner's beer on my hands?

Any input is appreciated?

The bottles need time to make the CO2, then cold to get the CO2 into the beer. Both were really missing here. The body depends much on your mash temperature, which you didn't tell us.

Lower alcohol beer will have less body. Just be patient and wait for them to naturally carbonate up...You can give the cases of beer a light rattling to keep the yeast in suspension. Also get them in a warm room in the 70's. The yeast will finish the job.

Many here will advocate kegging beers to save time and hassle of bottling. But I think bottle conditioning makes a superior product.

deancox said:
A few of months back I decided to get back into brewing, and this was my first all grain.

I decided to do a brown ale. The milled grain bill weighed 11 lbs (but misplaced the recipe - so I can't tell you exactly what was in it.) I hopped it with an ounce of Galena at 60 minutes and an ounce of Goldings at 15 minutes. I ended up with 5+ gallons of lovely aromatic, sweet and tasty, deep brown (black coffee) wort with a specific gravity of 1.0471. I think I got pretty good efficiency from my sparging, correct?

I had started a vial of White Lab's Pitchable Liquid Yeast, " British Ale Yeast, WLP005, a few days prior and pitched it at 80 degrees and it took off in my plastic 7 gallon pail fermenter. It perked along nicely for about 10 days and I let it stay in the fermenter for another 20 days. When I was done there was a good 1/4+ inch of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter,

I bottled with a finished gravity of 1.011 and primed with 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar in a simple syrup. I calculate about a 4.71 ABV?

I bottled primarily in large bail & stopper bottles that originally held Fishers.

It has been a week and I know it is too soon, but I bottled a few small 12 oz test bottles so I could taste it over the next month, and the first one I opened has a definite spritz, but no real head and not much body....kind of like a Newcastle SuperLight.....not bad, but certainly not the rich taste I was anticipating.

Will the carbonation and conditioning continue over the next few weeks? Will the richness and mouthfeel come as part of that conditioning, or do I probably have a beginner's beer on my hands?

Any input is appreciated?

For efficiency, who knows, there's no recipe. For the rest, the beer needs more time, minimum 3 weeks at 70 for carbonation and conditioning.

As for head and retention, the recipe would help but also clean glassware is key, squeaky clean:)

I have been keeping them in a dark cool closet, I will get the heat up a bit, but keep them in the dark.

@jdslep: my mash temp was a steady 152 F for an hour.

Thanks everyone!

Good news, I moved the bottles to a warmer area and gently shook it up a few times. It now has a gorgeous tan head that retains well and it is tasting richer and better....might end up still being a bit on the "light" side as far as taste goes...we shall see.

deancox said:
Good news, I moved the bottles to a warmer area and gently shook it up a few times. It now has a gorgeous tan head that retains well and it is tasting richer and better....might end up still being a bit on the "light" side as far as taste goes...we shall see.

Glad to hear it!

Mashing higher will leave more non-fermentables in your wort, leading to a higher FG, and more body.

Mashing higher will leave more non-fermentables in your wort, leading to a higher FG, and more body.

I mashed at steady 152 for an hour, basically following Palmer's advice in his book for brown ales. What would have suggested? I understand you can get your mash temp too high and it creates undesirable flavors?

Pitching at 80 degrees is too high and may have lead to the yeast eating up more sugars than it should have. This could be why the beer finished with a low f.g. and why the beer has less body.

So what temp would you have mashed

Probably just a degree or two higher, 153 or 154. I'm just now starting to experiment with my mash temps. Over the spring and summer I made some belgians and ales that I wanted to dry out, so I was mashing everything around 149 to 150. My saison and tripel dried out to about 1.004 or so, which is in range for those styles. I'd think a brown ale would be about 1.015 or so.

But I've recently tried some IPAs I really liked that were really bitter, but with a bit of residual sweetness and a huge mouthfeel, like zombie dust, or 471 IPA from breckenridge. So my last pale ale was my first attempt at a 154 mash, to get my FG around 1.015 or 1.016, rather than 1.010 or less. These beers also had a great foamy head, due (I think) to more unfermentables in the wort.

I mashed at steady 152 for an hour, basically following Palmer's advice in his book for brown ales. What would have suggested? I understand you can get your mash temp too high and it creates undesirable flavors?

I haven't heard that. If you get your sparge temp too high, you can extract some astringency - but that has more to do with sparge pH than temps.

152 is always a good starting point, but for lighter beers, go maybe a little lower (150), and for heavier beers, a little higher (154).

Back