Words that should never be in a beer's name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
We've talked in the lousy labels thread about terrible labels that send the wrong message about a beer. I think as a field dominated by men, there is a fair bit of crudeness in beer naming, or inside-joke kinds of names that just seem dumb to anyone that would be buying the product. So what words should never be used in a beer's name?

Here's a few I've been thinking of:

Slobber
Knocker
Dog
"PG" Swear words like ass, *****, etc.
Drool
Hair

Anyone else?

Light or the also popular Lite.
Reminded me of another word: Pabst. Not because the beer is bad, but because that word sounds vaguely like something to do with the gynecological field

Color descriptions don't really give you much information other than just the color, they could be left out or exchanged with more descriptive words.
Red Ale
Brown Ale
Black Ale
Blonde Ale
Dark Lager
Amber Lager

I'd avoid most medical terms especially things like: ulceration, necrosis, sputum, fissure, parasitic, gonorrhea (or really any of the -rhea words, for that matter)

Heartily disagree about "drool," "slobber," etc. If a beer has a goofy-ass name, I'll usually at least pick up the bottle and try to figure out what the heck the brewer was thinking, or ask the bartender "hey, what's the deal with this aardvark sweat?" If it turns out to be a style I'm in the mood for, hey, I'm already interested in it, more often than not, it'll end up in my basket or my glass.

Now, show me something like the zombie alien toy soldiers and golden-retreiver-women in bikinis on Jester King's labels -- crap that belongs in a kid's nightmare, not in a beer cellar -- and I won't pick up the bottle, much less bring it home where it can wait for me, plotting, in the dark...

Heartily disagree about "drool," "slobber," etc. If a beer has a goofy-ass name, I'll usually at least pick up the bottle and try to figure out what the heck the brewer was thinking, or ask the bartender "hey, what's the deal with this aardvark sweat?" If it turns out to be a style I'm in the mood for, hey, I'm already interested in it, more often than not, it'll end up in my basket or my glass.

Now, show me something like the zombie alien toy soldiers and golden-retreiver-women in bikinis on Jester King's labels -- crap that belongs in a kid's nightmare, not in a beer cellar -- and I won't pick up the bottle, much less bring it home where it can wait for me, plotting, in the dark...

aaararrrrggh!!! sweat, that is another word i would never want in a beer's name!

Balls!
C*ck!
Vagina!
Titties!

Whew, thanks for this thread. I was having a bad day at work, feeling better now! I like this game! :D

I'm the same way. But it's a two edged sword. pick up a 6-pack of wolf piss to take to a friends house, but I'll probably buy myself a single bottle

Anything to do with pus. Like Milky Pus Porter. Or Seeping Pus Stout. Just doesn't sound appetizing to me....the thought of drinking a glass of pus.

Anything to do with pus. Like Milky Pus Porter. Or Seeping Pus Stout. Just doesn't sound appetizing to me....the thought of drinking a glass of pus.

god i hope those aren't actual beer names

progmac said:
We've talked in the lousy labels thread about terrible labels that send the wrong message about a beer. I think as a field dominated by men, there is a fair bit of crudeness in beer naming, or inside-joke kinds of names that just seem dumb to anyone that would be buying the product. So what words should never be used in a beer's name?

Here's a few I've been thinking of:

Slobber
Knocker
Dog
"PG" Swear words like ass, *****, etc.
Drool
Hair

Anyone else?
OH GREAT!
I was going to name my pale ale "*****-dog ass hair light"

Reminded me of another word: Pabst. Not because the beer is bad, but because that word sounds vaguely like something to do with the gynecological field

I think there's a drink called Pabst Smear. it's like a shot of vodka dropped into a pbr.

Back