sanitizing chocolate for the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
So I'm making a chocolate stout, and I'm going to put 8 oz semi sweet chocolate into the secondary. I'm sterilizing the chocolate by soaking it in whiskey.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to soak it for more than an hour or two for it to be sanitized. Would you all agree or should I soak it longer to kill any bacteria?

I don't even bother to sanitize adjuncts for the secondary. The alcohol in the beer should take care of most of the nasties. so.....a soaking of whiskey, for any amount of time, should be fine.

Put it in the oven at 350 for an hour! That'll sanitize it!:tank:

Seriously, an hour should be more than fine. I know it sounds icky, but StarSan should work as well.

Like Hammy said, for secondary, unless you store your chocolate in your dirty clothes hamper, it'll be fine to just toss it in.
But do whatever makes you comfortable. It's certainly not wrong to say nuke it in the microwave just till it melts, then throw that in.

Thanks for the help. I've heard about people just throwing adjuncts in ad other sterilizing them. The one plus I see to sterilizing with whiskey is maybe it will impart a slight whiskey flavor. Mmmmm... Chocolate stout with a slight whiskey flavor... *drool*

Back