First AG recipe and technique question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojito65

Reaction score
I will be brewing my first AG this weekend. It is a simple America Wheat. I hope to get a crisp, dry beer with subtle citrus (orange) flavor and nose.

#5 2 row
#5 wheat

1oz Haullertau (NZ)
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Amarillo

WL001

mash @ 150-152

I have been been doing partial mash/partial boil. This will be my first full volume boil, my question is what would be the proper hop schedule as to not over bitter the beer.

Example:
60/20/5 min
45/30/15 min
???

Also have a question about whirlpooling, once I cool the wort, how long should I stir and how long should I wait before racking to the fermentor?

Cheers!

What's your % on the hops ? Thin mash at lower temps, I believe, will give you a dry light brew.

If you want dry, mash in the 149-150 range.

Go for about 10-12 IBUs for the bittering addition at 60 mins. You could make that your only hop addition if you want. Since it's an American wheat, you'll probably want to keep the other two additions, though. If so, I'd go for about 4-5 IBUs at 15 min and a couple more IBUs at 5. Hop flavor will be there, but it won't be overpowering.

Quick update...

Final recipe:
#5 2 row
#5 wheat

.5 oz Hallertau (NZ) @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 20
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5

WL001

mash @ 149-150 for 60 min

OG: 1.047

Things went well other than a stuck mash. I attempted to re-stir/vorlauf a few times with no success, I eventually added the sparge and drained without a vorlauf. I have not had issues with a stuck mash in my partials. Could this have been related to:
1. my crush being to fine
2. the amount of grain used (use an ss hose as my manifold)
3. the use of wheat (first time making a wheat based beer)

My last questions, I promise.

- How long does fermentation last for a wheat beer? I plan to check gravity after a week.
- I am fermenting at approx. 68F, should I step up the temperature for a diacetyl rest? I have not done this before and have not experienced any issues but since I am unfamiliar with the use of wheat, i'm just checking.

In any case, it here are a few fermentation pictures. Had to change from an air lock to a blow-off hose 30 hours in. (first two @ 18 hrs, next two @ 2 days)

Cheers!

2012-05-20 16.59.03.jpg

2012-05-20 16.59.09.jpg

2012-05-22 08.29.20.jpg

2012-05-22 08.29.27.jpg

Pull it when it's young, just after it's stabilized on the gravity readings. Wits are best young. I like fermenting them warmer, too, but I like esters and such in my wits.

You had a stuck sparge because of wheat. It's sticky and gooey. Use rice-hulls in addition next time, a handfull, pre-rinsed, tossed into the mash.

Back