Mountain dew mead!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna make a mead using mountain do instead of water sooo say for a gallon batch I'm ill use a pound and 1/2 of honey melted down with say 1/3 gallon of water then the rest be mountain dew I think it would would and the sugar in mw would aid in producing food for the yeast and be sweet along with the honey. It's a shot in the dark but I think it would be pretty darn good my two cents wort of course.

You are going to have a hard time getting the yeast to take hold in the soda, because of the preservatives contained in Mountain Dew. Sodium Benzoate, the chief preservative in MD, will at the very least inhibit healthy yeast growth, and at worst kill the yeast outright.

I've heard of people fermenting straight cola with a good pitch of yeast. I don't think it should be a problem diluted.

Theres a thread on here with someone trying to ferment mountain dew throwback. Dont think it went well but might be worth hunting down.

what he is attempting would be more of a fortified wine

Hardly, fortified wine is mixing a wine with a spirit. Mountain dew is fizzy orange juice with natural flavourings and caffeine. I would put that into the same catergory as a higghly unnatural JOAM type affair, which would certainly be a mead. Not a traditional, but a mead none the less.

Stop callin my mead skeeter pee its experimental mead, I find it insulting, what's a mountain dew throwback? Is that the dew that's all natural or something like that.

Here's what ya do... Get a bee hive with a queen and a post mix box of mountain dew.. Spread out the syrup and let the bee's do their work.. You now have mountain dew tainted honey.. Make a mead outta it :mug:

That would be freaking amazing mountain dew flavored honey my god Odin would be proud :D would that actually work?

Yes, it would if the bees could be persuaded to use it, but at that point your stretching the definition of honey a bit...

well, we are stretching out the definition of mead a bit .. I tend to think simply using a percentage of honey as a fermentable does not a mead make as well....

edmanster said:
Here's what ya do... Get a bee hive with a queen and a post mix box of mountain dew.. Spread out the syrup and let the bee's do their work.. You now have mountain dew tainted honey.. Make a mead outta it :mug:

681.jpg

Ideas like this are why I joined HBT, I just love the outlandish stuff that seems to simple in execution!

If you seriously try this, please keep us updated!

If you seriously try this, please keep us updated!

I'm going to when ever I get my refunds back you bet I am!

well, we are stretching out the definition of mead a bit .. I tend to think simply using a percentage of honey as a fermentable does not a mead make as well....
Well, then, my friend, you and brewingmeister apparently don't think acerglyn is a mead, nor pyment, cyser, or any other melomel.

To brewingmeister: the OP never said he was making a traditional mead. Also, what you describe is a show mead.

What repercussions you think would happen if you boil down a can or 6pack of throwback mt dew to a syrup and throw that in? I dont think there would be enough preservatives to affect fermentation.. Idk what impact on the flavor it would have.. Do they even make the throwback anymore?

edmanster said:
What repercussions you think would happen if you boil down a can or 6pack of throwback mt dew to a syrup and throw that in? I dont think there would be enough preservatives to affect fermentation.. Idk what impact on the flavor it would have.. Do they even make the throwback anymore?

Si senor.

Yeah, I'm wondering because with most artificial flavoring and such when heated will lead to a astringent/tannin like mouth feel wich would be no bueno!!

This is what I was thinking as well, if you get it reduced enough it will just be sugar/flavour/food colouring and perhaps tiny amounts of the other stuff.

This has got me thinking of all sorts of ideas now. What other soft drinks would potentially work well when boiled down and added to a mead...or cider?

What about an energy drink? Turbomead, anyone?

Why not make a 1 gal and just pour a can or two of the Dew in it after its done. If the "mead" is fermented dry, there might be enough sodium benzoate it to keep the extra sugar ur adding to it from fermenting any further. Then you will have all the Dew flavor.

I want to try to make it using the mead from so the flavor is straight i don't want to make some mead then add mountain dew I would think it would be noticeable to taste both drinks as for I am going for one flavor if you know what I mean

Why not make a 1 gal and just pour a can or two of the Dew in it after its done. If the "mead" is fermented dry, there might be enough sodium benzoate it to keep the extra sugar ur adding to it from fermenting any further. Then you will have all the Dew flavor.
Right: backsweetening with Dew.

Hmm well I try that since I already have about half a gallon left of traditional mead I'll give that a whirl and see how it taste

ARISE, ZOMBIE THREAD! :-D

Facetious remarks notwithstanding, what about just buying throwback syrup? The soda at soda fountains comes in concentrated form, so you wouldn't have to boil it down and risk caramelization destroying the flavor you're trying to impart.

Basically make a batch like the wine cooler recipes you see on you tube just using honey rather than sugar. Make a traditional mead and flavor with syrup. Done! I have experimented around with some weird stuff and you usually end up with a hot mess. So make your favorite mead recipe like a nice orange blossom mead and just flavor with syrup as you like with an additional hit of Camden 12 hours before flavoring. The rest of the preservatives in the syrup should keep it from fermenting.

Latest posts

Back