BeerSmith and Batch Sparge Question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I've been using BS for over a year, and I almost always hit my mash temps. I'm wondering, though, how others use the "Adjust for Equipment" option under the Mash tab? I usually just fill my tun with hot water and let it drop to the temp indicated when the "equipment" option is not selected. Ehh??

well, i think i lied to you...I have the adjust for equip checked and usually add water to preheat my tun that is 6-7 degrees hotter than what BS says...my last batch (5 gal) said add 168.2 water and steep at 152 so i pre heated tun ( 10 gallon Round rubbermaid cooler) with 175 degree water for 15 min....added grains at 169 (about 15 minutes later) and stirred, temp dropped to 153...checked 30 min later 152.5...temp at first wort 152! added sparge water @ 168 degrees....hope this helps...My brewhouse eff is 73%

i just leave it unchecked and let it heat up on its own. once it reaches the temp it says on the BS worksheet, i add in the grains and 9 times out of 10 hit the temp right on. the biggest problem i encounter is when it's cold or hot outside and the temp can swing a degree or two in one direction or the other. usually doesn't affect the beer though.

Brewed my Koelsch today using the aforementioned technique. Took about 8 mins for the water in my cooler to drop to strike. After dough-in, mash was to temp after about 4 mins of stirring. Cool with me!

Latest posts

Back