Chai Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcar

Reaction score
Chai Stout​

Ingredients
Malts:
(bought at Siciliano’s)
Plain Extra dark malt extract (dry) 6 lbs
Malto Dextrin 8 ounces

Grains:
(bought at Siciliano’s)
Carapil 0.5 lbs
Black Patent 0.5 lbs
Black Chocolate Malt 0.5 lbs

Hops:
(bought at Siciliano’s)
Starting: Millennium pellets 1 ounce
Finishing: Willamette 1 ounce

Yeast:
(bought at Siciliano’s)
California Ale V WLP051 by White labs

Other:
(bought at Siciliano’s)
Irish moss 1 Tsp
Assam Black Tea leafs 3.5 ounces

Spices:
(bought at Harvest Health Foods)
Cardamom 1.5 tbsp
Cloves 1.5 tbsp
Star Anise 1 tbsp
Cinnamon 1 tbsp
Nutmeg 0.5 tbsp
Peppercorn 1 tsp

How it was made!​
All of the spice where bought whole so they were ground up. We began seeping the grain between 150-160 degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the grain was sparged the grains with roughly 1 gallon of water that was at 170 degrees. The wort was then brought to a boil. Once boil began we added the malt extract, maltodextrin, and the millennium hops. After 20 minutes of boiling, we added the spices, willamette hops, and the irish moss for the last ten minutes to the boil. About 5 minutes after the wort was finished boiling we then seeped the black tea for ten minutes. The wort was cool to about 70 degrees and the yeast was pitched!!
Starting SG is 1.072

Utshwala Herbata

Sounds good! I've been kicking around doing a cardamom-coffee stout to get a Gulf Arabic coffee vibe into it.

Love to hear how this turns out, my only concern is that seems like a significant amount of spices, but maybe a stout can stand up to it.

We tasted it before we pitched the yeast and the spices were really good. We can't wait to see what it is going to be like when it is ready for secondary. We will report how it is though.

badnewsblair said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but volcar- any tasting notes on your chai stout?

I think OP isn't likely to respond. You might check tghe back issue of BYO where Jamil talks about the Yak and Yeti Chai Milk Stout from the Denver area.

Latest posts

Back