Boing to the HomeBrew Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spie0092

Reaction score
Well, I am going shopping today and was looking for suggestions. I am new to the hobby (have only done 2 kits) and want to do a couple of more kits until I am ready for an AG or PM.

Do you know of any real good kits I should try next?:mug:

I thought you were taking a private jet to the HBS looking at that title - lol.

What have you brewed so far? What do you like commercially?

spie0092 said:
Well, I am going shopping today and was looking for suggestions. I am new to the hobby (have only done 2 kits) and want to do a couple of more kits until I am ready for an AG or PM.

You're going to boing the home brew store? Let me know how that works out! :p

You could always try to formulate your own recipe instead of using a kit. Check out some of the ones in this forum or around the web. If you have Papazian's book, he has some great extract-based recipes in there. I only ever did one kit and so I don't really know what to recommend there.

Good luck!

Ha, I should check what I write before I post!

Done so far:
Amber Wheat
Irish Stout

Both turned out quite good.

spie0092 said:

Well, what kind of beer do you like?
If I was you I would do a Robust Porter next (for no reason other than thats what I like), but again it all depends on you.

spie0092 said:
Ha, I should check what I write before I post!

Done so far:
Amber Wheat
Irish Stout

Both turned out quite good.

I can recommend the Brewer's Best kits in these types: English Brown Ale, English Pale Ale, Red Ale. I've done them.

Also, your LHBS may have a "clone brews" book. They can help you with an easy recipe and put together all the ingredients for you- so you'll have a "kit" that you put together, complete with instructions. Think about what you like to drink (IPA? Amber Ale? Brown Ale?) so you walk in with some idea of what you want to try.

Yooper Chick said:
I can recommend the Brewer's Best kits in these types: English Brown Ale, English Pale Ale, Red Ale. I've done them.

I'll add the Octoberfest to that,,one of my favorites so far

I'd second an extract recipe vs a box/kit. I'm on my 2nd brew right now and its a recipe I found on this site, its kinda neat to assemble the ingredients yourself at the LHBS

Mozongo said:
Yooper Chick said:

I'll add the Octoberfest to that,,one of my favorites so far

I can add the BB Russian Imperial Stout and the Cream Ale. I've done two batches of each and plan to get another RIS tomorrow.

I tweak the recipes around each time and compare with previous batches.

The BB European Bock was a favorite with several of my friends.

Back