I think I over primed my kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
With out thinking I added 3oz of corn sugar to my kegs and I think I should have used about half as much.

I couldnt get any co2 to dissolve in my kegs at 68 degrees (kegerator not moved to my new apartment yet) so I decided to prime with dextrose and with out thinking I used palmers nomograph in how to brew to calculate the volumes of co2. I then realized I needed less sugar for kegging. How should I correct this problem? I primed the kegs 5 days ago should I just vent off all of the pressure?

I have been thinking about getting a spunding valve but have some other issues that I have to take care of first.

any help is appreciated

You should be OK. cornie kegs are good to 120 psi so no worries there

If it's over carbonated you can just relieve some of the pressure after it's finished and the excess CO2 will come out. but I wouldn't take off all the pressure.

It takes longer and or you have to use higher pressure if you try to force carbonate at room temp

What PSI were you using and how long did you wait before you decided it wasn't carbonating?

I'd just leave them until you're ready to serve, then chill them first. If you have to release some pressure at that point, no problem. Just pull a pint. If it's too carbonated, burp the keg. Should settle out in a few ays.

Back