Need to create a PDF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SWMBO and I are in the middle of a gigantic pile of move related paperwork. We have access to a printer and fax machine, but we have to go to the apartment complex's main office to use them. Most of the folks with whom we're dealing will accept electronic documents, but they must be PDF files (let's not get into a big discussion about the "security" of document formats). So...

I don't want to shell out big bucks for Adobe's software, but I did find a pretty neat little open source program that installs printer drivers that print to a PDF file (along with a few other formats). You just send your document (web page, word processing file, image, etc) to that "printer," and it saves the printed image to PDF. The software seems to be well designed and works exactly as advertised. Check out PDFCreator.

It sounds like it's an open source version of Acrobat Distiller. I get Acrobat free at work, but otherwise I'd be using that. Nice find.

I didn't know about CutePDF - looks like great software.

I'm going to stick with PDFCreator for now since it does everything I want. I already have MS Office, so OpenOffice is a bit bulky just for PDF functionality. I do use OpenOffice on my Ubuntu machine (currently in storage).

+3 on CutePDF, it acts like a printer and it works very well, you can tweak everything to how you want it. I like it, or I use OpenOffice.org to create PDFs of papers that I need to print out or take to a class or send to someone and such.

never used cutepdf, but you could always download a free pdf printer description and use that to create your files.

If they had a mac, they wouldn't have to download any additional software to clutter up their applications folder and fill their hard drive. ;)

I use CutePDF at home and PDF Creator at work. Both are good for straight forward conversions but, neither handle embedded hyperlinks very well.

+whatever on cutepdf...
we got rid of every full version acrobat license that we could at work, and anyone who can get by with the functionality that cutepdf gives them, that is what they have now.

Or you could just go HERE

I have a lot of clients using crap (Non publishing) applications like Publisher, Powerpoint and Excel that use this to create a PDF for me to convert to something that can be printed on a press.

It's free, it's fast and you don't even have to use your processing power!

Back