Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped my Q entry off tonight and had dinner there. I had a weird problem with my keg when I was filling my bottles, it was pulling a ton of bubbles and foaming wildly. Because of this I wasted a lot of beer and the files aren't great, but I capped on foam so hopefully they won't oxidize. Are they kept refrigerated between drop off and judging?

Yeah, bottling my beer tonight! Mine will be the slightly carbonated one! ;) I figured it was free, then just lost track of time (honestly thought I had another week).

I will also be participating in the BBQ contest. I asked if it was kosher to bring down my jockey box and have my beer for myself and "helpers". Understandably, it is not. :(

I know this is late/last minute. But I throw the invite out there again for anyone in the area looking to participate in a group brew tomorrow. We're hosting one for our club at our place. The more the merrier. Plus, you might get to try out some of what I have planned for next weekends BBQ comp! ;) PM if you're interested and would like an address.

Awesome, I'll stop by and try some of that BBQ.

I dropped my Q entry off tonight and had dinner there. I had a weird problem with my keg when I was filling my bottles, it was pulling a ton of bubbles and foaming wildly. Because of this I wasted a lot of beer and the files aren't great, but I capped on foam so hopefully they won't oxidize. Are they kept refrigerated between drop off and judging?

Not sure, I would hope so but I kind of doubt it. I'll ask them and if there is an answer I'll get back to you. I'll be stopping in there this week sometime.

I'm going with a slighty different theme. I figure everyone will be doing pork. So I'm making "Smokehouse Sliders".

Mixing a crapton (yes that's a measurement) of diced bacon with ground beef. Then making a pocket and creating 4 flavors.

Feta
Asiago
Stilton Blue
Adams Reserve Cheddar

Figure I'll make about 80-100 of those, then making 100-130 BBQ Popper's. Jalepeno's stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and a lil smokie cocktail weenie, all wrapped in Bacon.

Making some ribs for family/friends that are stopping down, not really doing those for the general public since they cost so damn much. Still trying to decide if I should make some "pig candy" to finish it all off. We'll see when I go to sams, what kind of mood I'm in...

mmmmm, meat cupcakes....

2012-05-10_14-36-54_266.jpg

Ended up making 130 "Smokehouse Sliders". Now just need to prep the bbq poppers tomorrow.

Yesterday was a good time, nice meeting you and your wife Derek. Next time we should bring some of our beers and have a sampling. Oh and thanks for the poppers and sliders, they were super good.

My only issue with events like this is that you get zero feedback on your brews, not even a little score sheet. I guess thats what you get when half the judges are Eagles offensive lineman. I was talking to a few people I knew that were judges and they said they didnt have my beer, it was a 100% Brett Bitter so they would have known if they had it.

I remember you saying something about how the judges knew whos beers were whos and that weighing on their decision? Is that true?

That's what I was told. I'm guessing the judges wouldn't have the balls to come out and admit it. Then again, one of them was George Hummel, who is ........

Hey guys, we're getting the sheets in the mail to you this week. Thanks for coming out. That Brett beer was pretty tasty and Fess you're Q was the bomb. Nice getting to know you.

We're already planning our next one for the fall so the feedback you've given is great. Would love it if y'all could help steward/judge,etc. let me know when a Glubb meeting is going down.

I am not. It is my understanding you have to surrender your recipe to them, regardless of whether you do well or not.

Which one of you guys drives an blue RSX? I keep seeing a guy with a "I brew the beer I drink" sticker on 95/girard/73 going to and from work.

Hey is anybody entering the Triumph competition?

It was a big cluster last year when it was sponsored by Preston and Steve. They wanted your detailed recipe before even tasting your beer. Then instead of doing a preliminary round and limiting it to 25 in the final round like they said, they invited everyone who entered into the final round at Triumph. I think it was 300 entries - all different styles. You had to show up on the day of judging with a sixpack of cold homebrew.

There's too many hastily thrown-together homebrew contests lately.

The most insulting is the Chester County Brewfest. Not only do you have to provide 4+ gallons of beer for free, you have to pay a $50 deposit to insure that you show up. The prize? Bragging rights and a plaque. So I have to pay a $50 bond, schlep a keg, gas setup, liquid setup, etc. so that I can stand there all day and serve my homebrew while the organizers are charging $35/person? I know they can't compensate with money for legal reasons, but at least give some t-shirts and have an actual prize for the homebrewers. Where's the incentive? This seems like a giant front so that the organizers can have free beer for their BBQ. 'Oh...let's make it a homebrew contest so we can get these dumb homebrewers to give us free beer for our event. We don't feel like buying kegs of beer...that costs money.'

They should make it a BBQ contest, homebrew contest and battle of the bands all in one. Free food, free beer, free entertainment.

It was a big cluster last year when it was sponsored by Preston and Steve. They wanted your detailed recipe before even tasting your beer. Then instead of doing a preliminary round and limiting it to 25 in the final round like they said, they invited everyone who entered into the final round at Triumph. I think it was 300 entries - all different styles. You had to show up on the day of judging with a sixpack of cold homebrew.

There's too many hastily thrown-together homebrew contests lately.

The most insulting is the Chester County Brewfest. Not only do you have to provide 4+ gallons of beer for free, you have to pay a $50 deposit to insure that you show up. The prize? Bragging rights and a plaque. So I have to pay a $50 bond, schlep a keg, gas setup, liquid setup, etc. so that I can stand there all day and serve my homebrew while the organizers are charging $35/person? I know they can't compensate with money for legal reasons, but at least give some t-shirts and have an actual prize for the homebrewers. Where's the incentive? This seems like a giant front so that the organizers can have free beer for their BBQ. 'Oh...let's make it a homebrew contest so we can get these dumb homebrewers to give us free beer for our event. We don't feel like buying kegs of beer...that costs money.'

They should make it a BBQ contest, homebrew contest and battle of the bands all in one. Free food, free beer, free entertainment.

There is some upside to that event, you get some exposure and directly interface with people drinking your beer (lots of them). But, they are clearly just taking advantage of homebrewers to turn a profit and I don't agree with that.

There is some upside to that event, you get some exposure and directly interface with people drinking your beer (lots of them). But, they are clearly just taking advantage of homebrewers to turn a profit and I don't agree with that.

I think they say it's for charity, but I can't see any mention of where that money is going. If it was a charity I cared about, they didn't have the $50 deposit and their "Info for Brewers" didn't insult me as a homebrewer, I might consider it. The wording is pretty insulting that they provide "beer lovers eager to drink your beer." If you make good homebrew, people should be always eager to drink it. I'm eager to drink my beer, my friends are eager to drink my beer. I don't need randoms drinking all my beer.

Plus, I just realized that you have to give up your entire summer Saturday night since you have to "serve your beer from your table for the duration of the event." Lame.

I entered, I'll be serving a Citra IPA. My friend is also entered so hopefully we'll be able to get a spot next to each other. I'm just looking forward to interfacing directly with people and answering questions that guests may have.

Hey everyone! Thanks for the shout outs earlier. Don't forget June 23rd we're hosting a Homebrew Flea Market. Bring anything you'd like to sell.

What are going to be the Philly Beer Week events that are a MUST go to?

I definitely want to try and hit up Teresa's in Wayne for that Hill Farmstead event, there are also a TON of things going on that Thursday too... What are you looking forward to most?

Not sure yet on the PBW events. We're trying to nail down some events that our club will be going to at thurs meeting. Probably will ride in on sat or sun and hit a few. I'll report back when we have a better idea...

Keep in mind, this weekend is bike race weekend. :( We had wanted to ride down into the city. Saturday they are doing time trials on West River Drive, and apparently a regatta on Kelly. Looks like we may just take the train in and ride from there..

dfess1 said:
That's what I was told. I'm guessing the judges wouldn't have the balls to come out and admit it. Then again, one of them was George Hummel, who is ........

Go on....

Willow Grove here :mug:

Work in Wynnewood but tomorrow is my last day and i'll be working near Willow Grove after next week

So yesterday was the Triumph Comp. I have to say, compared to what was said about last year's event, this year's was great. It was very well organized. They broke it down into 6 categories with 3 rounds of judging. The first round was peer-judging, where every participant rates all the beers in one category. The category you judged was different from the category you were competing in. Every beer was numbered and you simply rated each beer on a scale of 1 to 10. The two best beers from each category then went on to round 2. Round 2 then eliminated one of the two beers for each category. Then in the final round one winner was selected overall.

I ended up advancing to round 2 which was very cool. That earned me a $50 gift card which I used for lunch for my wife and I. I also got to sample a lot of decent home brews and meet a lot of cool people. I will def. do this event again next year.

Delco checking in. Looking for a brew club near me. Just brewed my first batch going to be bottling in a couple of days. A sam adams clone of summer ale.

delco_rich61 said:
Delco checking in. Looking for a brew club near me. Just brewed my first batch going to be bottling in a couple of days. A sam adams clone of summer ale.

Where in delco?

Did anyone go to the battle of the homebrew shops at the perch pub today?

I had my coffee amber entered in it (representing Artisan HB) but was sick as a dog this weekend with a stomach bug. I was really bummed I couldn't come out to meet and greet and sample the brews

I would love to hear how it turned out.

Didnt get anything. And yes Q is closed for good, long story short the owner of the building booted them from the joint. There was certainly some bad blood there.

Did anyone ever get these? I know I didn't. And from what I hear, Q has since closed its doors..

I never received anything despite a few messages promising I would. Overall they didn't handle the event well. I wasn't able to attend, and I'm sure it would have been fun, but so many people donated homebrew to at the very least get some feedback, but wound up getting nothing in return.

The Main Line Brewers Association meets in Rosemont (Villanova area) at Flip and Bailey's on Conestoga Road the first Thursday of every month. They are a good group of guys, and very friendly. There are always a lot of different beers to try and compare your own homebrew against. I always have a good time whenever I head up there!

Hope you liked it milldoggy!!!! If my wife was home I would have walked up to meet you! I don't think they have any real hoppy stuff on tap right now, but definitely lots of interesting and tasty Saisons!

stblindtiger said:
Hope you liked it milldoggy!!!! If my wife was home I would have walked up to meet you! I don't think they have any real hoppy stuff on tap right now, but definitely lots of interesting and tasty Saisons!

Really enjoyed it. I like what they are doing. They had hoppy hands on tap

Back