Simcoe Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate456789

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of Simcoe hops and I am trying to find some good recipes that use them.
I have several other verities that I can mix. Such as amarillo, goldings cascade, fuggles, willamette, hallertau.

The thing is I am not an IPA fan. That seems to be the main recipe that these are used for.

Thanks!

I ran a test batch (2.5 gallons) of something I created called Simcoe Infusion Light DIPA.....an almost DIPA. I just kegged it last night so it needs a few more days before I can give it an honest taste test but what I tasted going into the keg was very nice. Not nearly as bitter as I would have thought but it was my first time doing FWH. ABV was actually closer to 7 as it never got to the recipe's FG.

Batch Size: 2.50 gal Style: Imperial IPA (14C)
Boil Size: 4.66 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 6.5 SRM Equipment: Pot 9 Gallon-My Equipment
Bitterness: 116.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.076 (18.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.016 SG (4.0° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 8.0% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients Amount Name Type #
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
1 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - First Wort Hops 4
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 60 min Hops 5
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 30 min Hops 6
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 7
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Steep 0 min Hops 8
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 0 days Hops 10

Notes
Add 1 oz Simcoe leaf hops in mash

Simcoe is quite the hop of choice for IPAs. Use it at FO + DH with the Amarillo, but let the Simcoe dominate.

Cascade and Simcoe can be the base at anywhere from 60/30/15/10/0/DH for a combined 63-68 IBUs Rager.

Total hops for 5 gal batch = 7 to 9 oz.

1.064 - 1.010

52% British XL DME
30% American 2-row
10% Corn Sugar
4% White Wheat
4% CaraHell

WLP001 or 007

Or, you could brew an aromatic APA with half the IBUs and a lower OG.

What don't you like about IPAs? The bitterness or the general hop flavor? If it's the bitterness, just load up on late additions & dry hop, keeping the IBUs low. If it's the flavor, sell the hops :)

What don't you like about IPAs? The bitterness or the general hop flavor? If it's the bitterness, just load up on late additions & dry hop, keeping the IBUs low. If it's the flavor, sell the hops :)

Bitterness. I haven't acquired the palate for it yet I guess.
Or maybe I just haven't found an IPA that I would want to drink again.

nate456789 said:
Bitterness. I haven't acquired the palate for it yet I guess.
Or maybe I just haven't found an IPA that I would want to drink again.

Since you don't like the bitterness I'd recomend hop blasting it starting at 20 mins left in the boil. Shoot for something like 30 Ibus. Simcoe is a fantastic hop and pairs well with the Amarillo and cascade you already have.

I'm using simcoe and amarillo in a Boulevard Tank 7 Framehouse Ale clone this weekend. So simcoe can be used in a saison, but probably best used in an IPA.

Since you don't like the bitterness I'd recomend hop blasting it starting at 20 mins left in the boil. Shoot for something like 30 Ibus. Simcoe is a fantastic hop and pairs well with the Amarillo and cascade you already have.

Yep it sounds like I will have to play with it. Throw something together in beer smith I guess. Kind of excited to see what the mixture of the three will be.
Should dry hoping be only with one of the three or a mix? I really enjoy Amarillo hops so I know that will work for sure. Or maybe the cascade and simcoe together?

Should dry hoping be only with one of the three or a mix?

If you want more of a piney, dank character - Use Simcoe.

If you want more of a floral, fruity, citrus character - Use Amarillo.

If you want more of a grapefruit blast - Use Cascade.

...Or you could combine them in some way you see fit.

Stone Levitation use Simcoe, Amarillo, and Columbus. I made a clone and it was pretty good.... its a dark amber if your not familiar.

The thing is I am not an IPA fan. That seems to be the main recipe that these are used for.

If you want, you can probably trade that Simcoe for hops that you might enjoy more. You could get 2 pounds of Cascade from most people for a pound of Simcoe.

Im drinking weyerbachers simcoe IIPA right now. Im not sure what I think.

When you refer to dank is it more cascade and such? That hop punch?

I'm using simcoe and amarillo in a Boulevard Tank 7 Framehouse Ale clone this weekend. So simcoe can be used in a saison, but probably best used in an IPA.

I'd agree, a saison is a great option if you're not into ipa's. Hit it with a few ounces near flame-out, and it'll probably be pretty good, no matter what you're making.

Back