No bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbatten22

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

This past Saturday, my friend and I completed our second all grain brew (kolsch). Everything seemed to go pretty well. We had a 60 percent efficiency which s what we were shooting for. We also hit our OG reading right on the nose. We got down to a proper pitching temp and pitched white labs German ale / kolsch yeast.

It's been 4 days and we still have no bubbles in the airlock. Should we be worried?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Cheers

Josh

Kolsch yeast is kind of slow but, I would expect some bubbling by now. Are you positive your lid and airlock are all air tight? The air isn't escaping elsewhere is it?

Hey everyone.

This past Saturday, my friend and I completed our second all grain brew (kolsch). Everything seemed to go pretty well. We had a 60 percent efficiency which s what we were shooting for. We also hit our OG reading right on the nose. We got down to a proper pitching temp and pitched white labs German ale / kolsch yeast.

It's been 4 days and we still have no bubbles in the airlock. Should we be worried?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Cheers

Josh

Is this batch in an ale pail type bucket? Those are notorious for leaks. If that's the case, no worries, the co2 is just finding the easy way out, which isn't the airlock.

Is this batch in an ale pail type bucket? Those are notorious for leaks. If that's the case, no worries, the co2 is just finding the easy way out, which isn't the airlock.

This +1. If no bubbles at all after, say, a week - take a gravity reading. If it has changed, you are fine (or if you open the lid and see krausen or krausen residue, you are fine).

It is indeed one of the ale pale type. As far as I can tell the lid and airlock are on tight.

I will take a reading on Saturday to see if there is a change. I just wasn't sure what to do. I am still new to brewing in general let alone all grain, and this is the first time I have come across this issue.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's greatly appreciated.

It is indeed one of the ale pale type. As far as I can tell the lid and airlock are on tight.

I will take a reading on Saturday to see if there is a change. I just wasn't sure what to do. I am still new to brewing in general let alone all grain, and this is the first time I have come across this issue.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's greatly appreciated.

9 times outta ten when these issues come up, it's a leaky bucket. Those lids snap on, but don't really seal. Take a quick peek, you may not need to take a reading to see it's fermenting or has fermenter.

FWIW, HomeBrew Heaven has buckets with lids that do seal, the lids have an 'o' ring that usually seals up quite nicely. I've never had a leak when I use their bucket, conversely, I don't think I've never not had a leak when using my brewers best ale pail lids. YMMV.

I have one bucket that won't seal all that well, the airlock never shows activity, but if you open it up you can see that it's fermenting quite nicely. I always check 24 hours after I pitch and if there is no activity in the airlock or no Kräusen then I worry.

This last batch I switched to better bottles instead of buckets and I couldn't be happier.

Back