Interesting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
So I brewed a Berliner Weisse about 10 days ago. I pitched a lacto starter and the thing took off the same night. Pretty gnarly lacto activity. After it calmed down, I pitched some washed yeast taken from my previous berliner weisse (wyeast german ale). Nothing. 3 days later it still sits idle. Not a sign of activity. So I racked some of the yeast cake from a hefe that just finished primary, and overnight it has not yet began showing signs of activity. I am intent on getting a fresh vial of yeast in case this does not work.

So the question is,

Will this extended period without yeast inoculation adversely affect the beer?

+1 to take a gravity sample and see where you are at. If the lacto took off it may be possible that it has enough of a population to keep the yeast from being able to get a population formed. pH may also be a factor but you should be able to taste that in your hydro sample in the form of an acidic tartness and taste.

Ok, took gravity today …1.020

Began at 1.030

I am unable to take a ph reading.

Gravity sample tastes of cheese and slight cream corn, a bit of musty funk. No tartness at all.

Took the plunge and racked atop a hefe yeast cake.

Ok, took gravity today …1.020

Began at 1.030

I am unable to take a ph reading.

Gravity sample tastes of cheese and slight cream corn, a bit of musty funk. No tartness at all.

Took the plunge and racked atop a hefe yeast cake.

Yeah we need mash temps and techniques to help you further. Only a 10 point drop is not very much, so the yeast should be fine to take off. I hope the hefe cake takes off for you.

4# german pilsner
3# wheat

Single infusion mash @ 152F for 60 mins

15min boil with .5 oz mt hood

2 days with homemade lacto starter held @ 110F

I no nothing about sours, so please excuse the lame question. Why did you pitch the lacto bacteria first and the yeast second?

Based on the reading I have done, pitching the lacto first is to allow it to get a hold before yeast comes in and takes charge. Therefore hoping the beer can begin going sour.

But I have never done this process before so I have no experience/prior knowledge

Back