Help me find it.. stirbar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullDraw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Damn thing up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

Think about where I put it for me, would ya?

Thanks. It's in a safe space, so it wouldn't get lost. Guess I'll hide my own easter eggs this weekend. This is BS.

It's in the fermenter of the last beer you pitched a starter into.

Or, it got dumped out with teh rub.

I'll bet dollar on this.

I always keep mine in my flask. Did you check inside your stirplate? (if its a DIY cigar box type). Stuck to the fridge? Check all of your metals if it attached itself.

Stirbar.jpg

Actually a good place to store at least a spare one is on the refrigerator door. I use one as a fridge magnet.

Actually a good place to store at least a spare one is on the refrigerator door. I use one as a fridge magnet.

Magnets don't stick to SS appliances. Sort of a blessing really, keeps it from becoming cluttered with every picture that arrives in the mail.

I never remove the stirbar from my flask. It gets boiled in there, sanitized in there, and if I'm careful doesn't get poured out when I decant and pitch.

I actually had it sitting on my stirplate, but moved it so I wouldn't knock it off the brewbench. I see that idea has now backfired. Best bet now is down the drain, or trashed by mistake. I just ordered 2 more, so it should be revealing itself before lunch. Fingers crossed.

On my first use of my stir plate and bar (just a couple weeks ago), I nearly goofed up and pitched the bar with my yeast, but remembered to grab my magnet just in time.

Thinking I was in the clear, I proceeded to clean everything up later that evening. Gave my flask and stir bar a nice oxyclean soak. Then dumped it in my slop sink before I could stop and think. And sure enough, the stir bar went right down the drain.

Thankfully, it got stuck in the trap, which I was able to take apart easily enough so I could recover the bar. Gonna have to be a touch more careful about that going forward, methinks...

I never remove the stirbar from my flask. It gets boiled in there, sanitized in there, and if I'm careful doesn't get poured out when I decant and pitch.

Good Idea, now that I'm settled into my condo, I actually have a place where I can leave the stirplate up all the time. I'm going to start doing this. Just leave everything up, flask and all.

It's in your beer. You're going to drink it. Once it's in you, it's going to start drawing all the iron out of your blood and make itself into a big iron ball that you can't crap out. Eventually, due to the magnet drawing all the iron out of your blood, you will become iron deficient and die.

Unless, you get a bigger magnet, pass it around your guts region till it attracts the smaller magnet and clinks to it. Then, cut yourself open at that point and remove the smaller magnet. It's the only way.

Come with me if you want to live.

And I checked the magnet stainless steel thing. It stuck to my Leatherman and to mt ss toaster over. Yeah. Taht's right. i got a troaster oven. If its not ss its a silver metal that doesnpt stain. It's not chrome. And a Leatherman may not be an appliane but a toaster oven is. Therefore, magnets stick to leathemans and taoster ovens. That pretty much prove sit.

And I checked the magnet stainless steel thing. It stuck to my Leatherman and to mt ss toaster over. Yeah. Taht's right. i got a troaster oven. If its not ss its a silver metal that doesnpt stain. It's not chrome. And a Leatherman may not be an appliane but a toaster oven is. Therefore, magnets stick to leathemans and taoster ovens. That pretty much prove sit.

Magnets don't stick to my fridge. Now I proved it!

There's different formulations of stainless. Some have enough iron to make magnets useful.

Cheers!

I got 2 magnets out of the hard drive. One is on the fan in the cigar box stirplate build. The other is stuck to my non stainless refrigerator. I use it to fish out the stirbar before pitching.

I thought I had drained my first stir bar with the trub and had purchased two others. Then when I went to make my next starter I found the original stir bar stuck to the metal screw-on cap of the 1 gallon glass bottle I use for starters. In hindsight, a great place to store it!

It's in your beer. You're going to drink it. Once it's in you, it's going to start drawing all the iron out of your blood and make itself into a big iron ball that you can't crap out. Eventually, due to the magnet drawing all the iron out of your blood, you will become iron deficient and die.

Unless, you get a bigger magnet, pass it around your guts region till it attracts the smaller magnet and clinks to it. Then, cut yourself open at that point and remove the smaller magnet. It's the only way.

Come with me if you want to live.

Did you just Iron Man my dilemma? I'm pretty sure I need some kind of car battery.

Still looking. You guys really haven't helped much.

It's like there's too much drinkin and not enough thinkin.

You know those weight rings they sell to put around the neck of your flask to keep it stable?

That **** needs to be magnetized so it catches your stir-bar on the way out! The one I have must have too much plastic wrapped around it or some non-ferrous metal or some crap.

Anyway; I'm down with the whole magnet-find-surgery-thing. Just take pics! :p

Latest posts

Back