Some kind of foam on the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
Can anyone tell her if it's normal to have a foam looking material appear on top of the wine after clearing?

This it's my first wine kit. Spagnols strawberry reisling kit. Everything looked clear and fine yesterday. I was going to be ready to bottle friday. Tonight I noticed this foam like material that appears to be hanging off of the inside of the carboy. There is some in the bottom also but not nearly as much.

I've never seen anything like this in making beer so I'm stumped what this might be. I'm trying to put a video of it on youube for illustration but haven't managed to do it yet.

Here's a couple pics. My first guess would be a yeast formation. Although i've never seen one on top before.

This was perfectly clear tuesday morning, and an hour ago I looked in on it again and now this has happened. Hopefully it's nothing serious where I'd have to dump the batch.

ForumRunner_20111214_002832.jpg

ForumRunner_20111214_003034.jpg

I never seen anything like that with beer. This is my first wine kit.
The LHBS I got it from was puzzled by it also. They're going to email the pic to the supplier and see if they've seen anything like it before.

The store mentioned they've had a report before of the finishing blend in a kit which had an infection in it.

Holy cow that thing looks nasty lol... never seen anything even remotely like it. How long did it take to form? It looks like some sort of mushroom.

Question - have you pissed your wife off recently? It looks like she may have shoved a pair of your undies in the bung hole...

It might not be noticable from the pic, but to me it looks like spray insulation foam. It formed in about a day.

Back