Craigslist is crazy....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't use it very often, but I have a portable dishwasher that i wanted to sell. I redid my kitchen recently and bought all new appliances. I posted it about 15 minutes ago. I have received 3 calls saying they want it and can come over in a half an hour with cash...I guess I priced it too low...lol. Amazing..

Actually, I've been with my wife for almost twenty years, getting some attention from a stranger might be kinda nice..

Same thing happened to me last spring when I listed my '94 Toyota 4x4 with a Meyer 6' poly plow. I actually had a bidding war on my property! I listed it for $1K, by the time the dust settled, I had $1500 cash!

There were some really old curtains in my house when I bought it. I decided to leave them for a little while so it was one less thing that I needed to deal with at the moment. When I repainted the living room, it was time for the curtains to go. I washed them and put them on craigslist for free, explaining to people that the first person to show up would get them and that I would remove the listing as soon as they were gone. I got a total of around 20 emails about them and they were gone within the hour. But what really gets me is that one person, the fourth person to respond, I think, actually got mad at me because I didn't save them for her. She claimed that her families house burned down and that they were in the process of rebuilding their lives. First, I didn't know anything about this until after they were gone. Second, I didn't know if she was making stuff up to try and get ahold of them to resell them and make money, but when I asked her to prove what she said, she got even more mad at me.

All I could do was laugh. Which apparently got her really p!ssed at me.

I had bad luck with Craigslist. I was trying to sell an old dresser and received a bunch of emails for it arranging times. Even left work early for one woman that said she worked night shifts and could only see during the day. Didn't show up. After 5 no shows, I eventually gave the dresser away in the town spring clean up. People are just rude.

There were some really old curtains in my house when I bought it. I decided to leave them for a little while so it was one less thing that I needed to deal with at the moment. When I repainted the living room, it was time for the curtains to go. I washed them and put them on craigslist for free, explaining to people that the first person to show up would get them and that I would remove the listing as soon as they were gone. I got a total of around 20 emails about them and they were gone within the hour. But what really gets me is that one person, the fourth person to respond, I think, actually got mad at me because I didn't save them for her. She claimed that her families house burned down and that they were in the process of rebuilding their lives. First, I didn't know anything about this until after they were gone. Second, I didn't know if she was making stuff up to try and get ahold of them to resell them and make money, but when I asked her to prove what she said, she got even more mad at me.

Thats the best part about CL, it brings out everyone's sense of entitlement. I have been dealing with CL since before it went mainstream, and I can say with no doubt in my mind that unless she was in complete tears having a mini breakdown she was probably full of it. People don't get the first come first serve, they just feel like you owe it to them to wait and you are on their schedule. When you don't and they get embarrassed or angry they try to make you feel bad so they can feel like they have won. Laughing was the right response.

I had bad luck with Craigslist. I was trying to sell an old dresser and received a bunch of emails for it arranging times. Even left work early for one woman that said she worked night shifts and could only see during the day. Didn't show up. After 5 no shows, I eventually gave the dresser away in the town spring clean up. People are just rude.

No show's are insane on Craigslist.

I sold a transmission on Craigslist. It was a 2003 Corvette T56 Manual transmission, and that's exactly how I listed it. A guy popped up right away for it and happily paid me. Two days later he calls me up accusing me of ripping him off. He needed an automatic and "Discovered" it was a manual. He wanted me to pay him back two hundred more than he'd paid me for it or he'd call the cops on me. I told him I'd have taken it back at the same price he'd paid for it, but not after he tried to threaten me. He was less than pleased.
Every other person I've dealt with on Craigslist has been excellent to deal with.

I've had great luck with CL. There's always a risk of nut-jobs and no-shows, but it's the risk you have to take to easily move items, and find great deals. There's really no other venue like it.

Just realized you are in Holland. The scariest people on this planet can be found lurking on the GR craigslist LMAO.

Ahh, the Grand Raggity

nukinfuts29 said:
Just realized you are in Holland. The scariest people on this planet can be found lurking on the GR craigslist LMAO.

Ahh, the Grand Raggity

Apparently I have been lucky. The last few times I have dealt with GR craigslist, I have had good experiences.

Give it time. I used CL about 20 times a day and GR was something else. Great beer's, no jobs, crazy people lol

Apparently I have been lucky. The last few times I have dealt with GR craigslist, I have had good experiences.

I guess I've been lucky also. Probably bought/sold 10 things on Craigslist, but haven't had a problem in Grand Rapids.Well there was this one time When I was looking for a mini-fridge to convert to a fermentation chamber. I met this guy in Greenville and I brought a 6.5 gallon bucket with me to see if it would fit in the fridge. I told him I wanted to see if the bucket would fit in the fridge, but he kept asking me "how do you think the fridge will fit inside the bucket." No amount of explaining could make him understand that the bucket went inside the fridge, not the other way around. Needless to say, I never bought that refrigerator. I don't know why he thought I would be trying to put a refrigerator inside a bucket. Oh well, I ended up getting one from a guy that lived on campus at GVSU :ban:, so it worked out well for me.

I guess I've been lucky also. Probably bought/sold 10 things on Craigslist, but haven't had a problem in Grand Rapids.Well there was this one time When I was looking for a mini-fridge to convert to a fermentation chamber. I met this guy in Greenville () and I brought a 6.5 gallon bucket with me to see if it would fit in the fridge. I told him I wanted to see if the bucket would fit in the fridge, but he kept asking me "how do you think the fridge will fit inside the bucket." No amount of explaining could make him understand that the bucket went inside the fridge, not the other way around. Needless to say, I never bought that refrigerator. I don't know why he thought I would be trying to put a refrigerator inside a bucket. Oh well, I ended up getting one from a guy that lived on campus at GVSU :ban:, so it worked out well for me.

That's awesome. I take it you never showed him what you meant? People in general never fail to amaze me.

I'm doing freecycle. It's like CL, but for FREE items. You have, you give. You need, you ask.

I need to get rid of my old entertainment center. It's still in real good shape, but we don't have a tv in the room that it was in, and frankly, a new LCD is not likely to fit and we need the space for other things now.

I snapped a pic and the third person set up a time to come over and get it in the afternoon. Just about the time she was to show up, her boyfriend calls and asks how big the opening was for the tv. I tell him. He says no thinks it won't fit.

Dumb@zz girlfriend didn't even think to find out if it will work for them before she has me sit at home waiting for them.

I could relist it with clear dimensions, or I could take it apart and use the pieces as shelving for the attic in my garage. Brewing storage area, baby!

Oh, yeah... I should totally ask for beer kegs on freecycle! :rockin:

I scroll though freecycle now and again. Never seen kegs on there, but then again I've never asked. But CL is ridiculous around here for kegs. Never ceases to amaze me how much people think their used corney's are worth. I saw a 3 gal corney on there one day that some guy wanted $75 for. I see guys regularly asking $45+ for their used corney with the assurance that it worked the last time they used it.

.... $75 is a pretty fair price for a three-gallon corney. It's actually on the cheap side, if it's in decent shape. You ever price the little ones out? They're worth a lot more than the big ones, just because they're so scarce and they're so convenient for a lot of purposes.

And, $45 isn't absurd for a good 5-gallon corney, there aren't as many around as there used to be (if you find a stash of $20 ones, buy as many as you can).

Thats the best part about CL, it brings out everyone's sense of entitlement.

No show's are insane on Craigslist.

I know, i tried giving away a bunch of T12 lamps and ballast, I got 10 emails in less than hour about them, so i took the add down. The first person answered said he'd be by in a few hours, then called and said he couldn't make it because his kid was in the hospital, So i boxed them and put them out side so he could get them whenever he wanted. After a week he never came by so i emailed the remaining nine people with my address and said first come first takes it. Two weeks later he emailed me asking me to bring them by his house, and got mad when i told him they were gone.

I have a friend in NY is on his last step for a doctorate in Psychology and they are doing a research experiment where they basically use CL to screw with those types of people.

I listed a pony on CL once. The ad went something like this "For sale, one pony $100. If it doesn't sell by this weekend I'm putting it down".

That last statement triggered a whole lot of crazy. We had numerous threats and animal rights people emailing us. It actually sold almost instantly so luckily I took the ad down.

.... $75 is a pretty fair price for a three-gallon corney. It's actually on the cheap side, if it's in decent shape. You ever price the little ones out? They're worth a lot more than the big ones, just because they're so scarce and they're so convenient for a lot of purposes.

And, $45 isn't absurd for a good 5-gallon corney, there aren't as many around as there used to be (if you find a stash of $20 ones, buy as many as you can).

I know I've seen the 3 gal in places cheaper than that. Not sure where off hand just because I don't really care that much about them. But the $45 on the 5 gal is what kills me because I know that even though they are harder to find, there are a number of reputable places to buy corney's in the $35-$50 range with some guarantee you can send them back if they are duds. I'm just not willing to pay some stranger off CL market price for a keg that might need new o-rings and valves as soon as I get it home.

I listed a pony on CL once. The ad went something like this "For sale, one pony $100. If it doesn't sell by this weekend I'm putting it down".

That last statement triggered a whole lot of crazy. We had numerous threats and animal rights people emailing us. It actually sold almost instantly so luckily I took the ad down.

Isn't that nuts? I got that with a puppy i found as a stray once. I couldn't afford the like $50 fee to take it to the shelter and was giving it away. They would all email to whine about the idea of killing it, but not to give it a home. I had not put up a picture, so i kept sending them all a picture of a dead puppy and said "Thanks for emailing me, but sadly you are too late...".

Good times. :mug:

Thanks guys....Now I'm gonna bring this thing to a mall parking lot with lots of camera's and lights...:D

That's actually a smart way to do it.

I usually conclude my craigslist transactions in a Lowe's parking lot under a camera in the daylight as I just don't want strangers coming to the house.

I think it makes both parties feel more safe.

I use Craigslist all the time. What frustrates me is when people don't respond to ads they post and when people don't take down items that have sold.

A friend of my wife's decided to sell her wedding ring on CL (she had been divorced for more than a few years at that point). Thinking she was being smart, she met the "buyer" at a busy local coffee shop. While the guy was looking at the ring he says, "You seem like a nice lady, I hate to do this to you" and he bolts out the door with her ring. Little did he know that she is an aerobics instructor and in great shape. she chased him for blocks screaming the whole time and eventually someone took notice and helped her corner the guy and called the police.

Another time I bought a baby swing off of CL...I went to this lady's house one night where it was just her and her ~6 month old baby. I kept thinking that she was really dumb not to have someone else there, or meet me somewhere public. How did she know I wasn't going to be some rapist or child abductor?!

I have bought and sold lots of stuff on CL, and am always nervous about it, but have personally only had good experiences. the no-show's really piss me off, but it has only occasionally happened to me.

That's actually a smart way to do it.

I usually conclude my craigslist transactions in a Lowe's parking lot under a camera in the daylight as I just don't want strangers coming to the house.

I think it makes both parties feel more safe.

I don't let anyone know where I live anymore. Had a CL guy come back a few years ago and steal a bunch of stuff out of my home.

Or all 3 of them want to murder and rape you

That's why I always add "I'm super big and strong, not to be messed with. I punched Mike Tyson in the mouth once, after he woke up crying he just left.".

It's smart to throw that in there.

I'm in the middle of a craigslist experience right now. this guy has been saying he's on the way for 4 hours and he lives in town. ridiculous.

I love the Craigslist people that put ads up and you email them back and forth multiple times and say you want to come pick it up but they still don't give you an address or phone number.
I got annoyed at a lady and asked her why she put it on Craigslist if she didn't want to give a number or address for pickup?

Some Craigslisters are great but most are annoying but the thrill of a deal keeps me coming back!

Back