Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
I have a $55 Lowes gift card and was curious if either of these burners would work for doing a full boil. I am assuming the 10 Qt one will not be good considering that is 2.5 gal, but what about the other one? These are the only two that Lowes has online. Thanks.

Double Jet

10 Qt

:mug:

Edit: There is no information regarding BTU's either.

I think either one will be fine. Those are designed to heat cooking oil up to 400+ degrees F. Water boils at 212 degrees F. You should have no problem getting and maintaining a boil with either one.

Also, I do my brewing in a 12 qt stockpot and add a few gallons of water after it cools off and I have put it in the primary.

Get the Bayou Classic. Those jet burners get bad ratings from everyone i talked to. I almost bought one because of the price, but SEVERAL ppl warded me away from them.

If you are brewing on a propane fryer, consider getting a larger pot and doing full boils. I have a keggle that works great for both 5 and 10gal batches (all grain or extract)

lol, in the OP, I say that I was wondering if these are good for full boils. So i am assuming these aren't then right?

I have a jet burner and it kicks ass. This is the one I have Very hot and easy to control. This one has a adjustable defector plate that will spread out the flame. Or it can be used as a single jet. Crank it up and it's like a rocket, 185,000 BTUs!

The Bayou Classic SP10 is great for 10gal full boils.
I have been told that the jet burners burn through a tank pf propane too fast.

i definitely don't want a non-efficient burner. Propane isn't that cheap.

I see this rumor posted from time to time but there is no proof to back it up. How is one burner design less efficient then another? Doesn't the combustion of propane produce a set amount of heat? If a burner is using more propane then it will be that much hotter.

Does anybody have a real explanation to why the jet burners are supposedly less efficient?

I'm not sure why the second one is called "10-Qt." It's the SP10 which is a very popular burner on these boards, since they run fairly inexpensive. I just bought one myself, but have yet to use it yet.

I'm not sure why the second one is called "10-Qt." It's the SP10 which is a very popular burner on these boards, since they run fairly inexpensive. I just bought one myself, but have yet to use it yet.

Would you mind posting your findings after you do use it. If it works and is that cheap, then I might as well get it. Thanks.

Would you mind posting your findings after you do use it. If it works and is that cheap, then I might as well get it. Thanks.

I use the SP50. It is a bit more powerful, and alot taller, as well as more expensive. brings 10gal to a rolling boil in about 35min. I have read some people having a problem getting a rolling boil with the SP10 on even 5gal batches.

I borrowed a friend's burner before buying my own, because I wanted to see it in action.

Ok I have and use the Sp-10 bayou burner.

#1 I went from mash temp to boiling over practically in less than 15 min. That was 7g of wort. It was so hot (I assumed you were supposed to use it full on) that I managed boil down to way less than 5g in a 60min boil.

I have since learned that 1/2 on is totally sufficient to boil anything.

Anyone saying the SP-10 isn't powerful enough has either not used one or theirs is defective.

Ok I have and use the Sp-10 bayou burner.

#1 I went from mash temp to boiling over practically in less than 15 min. That was 7g of wort. It was so hot (I assumed you were supposed to use it full on) that I managed boil down to way less than 5g in a 60min boil.

I have since learned that 1/2 on is totally sufficient to boil anything.

Anyone saying the SP-10 isn't powerful enough has either not used one or theirs is defective.

Is the "10-qt" one in the OP the same one you have? If so, that is great news.

Yes that's the one I have. There is a nice review of it here in the equipment section.

I am very happy with it and it will heat a keggle.

Back