Chimay yeast for a bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danlad

Reaction score
Anyone tried this?

Just bottled a tripel type using maris otter and yeast grown from a few bottles of Chimay, and it is distinctly fruity but tastes to me an awful lot like a decent British bitter. No hot alcohol and it has the fruity taste that I'm always annoyed that Safale 04 promises when fermenting, but fades out by the time it is ready to drink.

Any one experimented with this yeast in a wider range of beers?

I'll be experimenting with using Chimay yeast in an IPAish beer in a few weeks. A friend and I will be brewing up a double batch so we have high hopes.

My thought is that it is fruity enough to be a good Belgian but not as pronounced in the esters and phenols it puts out, unlike some Belgian strains, as to overpower a Bitter. I say go for it.

Let me know how yours turns out.

Here in Edinburgh it has taken a wintry turn, so am figuring that the lower temps might be reining in the phenols and fruit that I keep reading in relation to Chimay.

Frankly if it performs like this in these temps it might become my house strain for all my beers. I've already top cropped it for a stout I have on the go, will see how that turns out next year. If only it stuck to the bottom like S 04.

Back