Increasing Mouth Feel of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregredic

Reaction score
Any advice would be helpful....

Our beer has a really good flavor, but it seems to lack body most of the time. Once you swallow the beer, the flavor almost completely disappears from your taste buds. I believe this is because the beer just isn't thick enough, anyone have any suggestions?

Any advice would be helpful....

Our beer has a really good flavor, but it seems to lack body most of the time. Once you swallow the beer, the flavor almost completely disappears from your taste buds. I believe this is because the beer just isn't thick enough, anyone have any suggestions?

If you are otherwise happy with the recipe and the beer it produces, adding maltodextrin to the boil or cara-pils to the mash will increase body and mouthfeel without changing the flavor of the beer. You could also increase your mash temperature or shorten your mash schedule to increase the amount of unfermentable long-chain dextrins left in the wort.

If you are saying that your beer isn't viscous enough or is finishing too dry and the beer could also use a look more caramel or malt flavor, try adding crystal malts to the mash or steeping grains.

Posting a recipe and mash schedule would go a long way toward helping diagnose the problem. There are more experienced brewers than me who will be happy to help if they have enough information.

Chad

Any clue what would be a good starting amount of maltodextrin for a 5 gallon batch? Maybe start around 4oz and experiment from there?

Before you change the grain or extract try using yeast that doesn't attenuate as well, such as wyeast 1968

Any clue what would be a good starting amount of maltodextrin for a 5 gallon batch? Maybe start around 4oz and experiment from there?

Go with 8 oz Malto Dextrin. I always go with 8 for all my beers and they all turn out with a great mouthfeel

I think the OP has probably figured it out by now, since his post is 5 years old.

Zombie alert.

Back