Damn kids on the ice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of summer camps sending busloads of kids to the ice skating rink every day from June til August. It's not so much that I think they shouldn't be there (hey, it's great fun for the kids) but that I just don't like it when they're there. Something about the way a large pack of eight and unders behaves just saps out the fun for me. There are a few things I have observed.

One: Many, many kids do not know how to skate. Not in that they're beginners, because they're nothing wrong with that, but in that they often think they're much better than they are, they try to show off, and they have no concept of rink etiquette. It's not too bad if it's just one or two kids (or ******* adult, at least they don't come by the busload), I don't expect them to all be able to fully understand why you let people pass and why everyone is supposed to go in the same direction.

Two: There are rarely less than two buses of children. I really want to know who thought it was a good idea to put that many small children in the same place so that they could engage in an activity that could potentially hurt themselves and others, especially since many of these groups seem under chaperoned.

Three: Me-specific, but one reason why I hate large groups on the ice is because I have no depth perception. I can see you, but I can't tell exactly how close you are to me. This is bad for maneuvering around tightly packed groups, very bad for large groups of waist-high children, very very bad because I know that I could hurt them by running into/over them.

Four: While I do try to act like a good person, I'm sorry a big part of me thinks that if you're skating like a ******* you kind of deserve to get ploughed into by somebody. I'm no good at skating, and there have been a good many times when I've made myself fall because I didn't think I could stop or turn away fast enough. Why should I have to sacrifice myself when a kid gets a lot less hurt (if at all) from taking a spill? Oh yeah, because it makes you look like a cold hearted bully if anything happens to a kid when it's totally their fault for acting like a damn fool. Ok, admittedly I have gently pushed kids out of the way before, but I don't even think they fell. Should have, though.

Yeah, I can't wait until the little pukes go back to school.

Three: Me-specific, but one reason why I hate large groups on the ice is because I have no depth perception. I can see you, but I can't tell exactly how close you are to me. This is bad for maneuvering around tightly packed groups, very bad for large groups of waist-high children, very very bad because I know that I could hurt them by running into/over them.

Four: While I do try to act like a good person, I'm sorry a big part of me thinks that if you're skating like a ******* you kind of deserve to get ploughed into by somebody. I'm no good at skating, and there have been a good many times when I've made myself fall because I didn't think I could stop or turn away fast enough. Why should I have to sacrifice myself when a kid gets a lot less hurt (if at all) from taking a spill? Oh yeah, because it makes you look like a cold hearted bully if anything happens to a kid when it's totally their fault for acting like a damn fool. Ok, admittedly I have gently pushed kids out of the way before, but I don't even think they fell. Should have, though.

So, half of the reason you're mad at them is because of your own short-comings due to poor skating abilities and poor depth perception? Hmmm :confused:

That's awesome...I can see BPS sitting on his porch in a rocking chair with a musket on his lap, recalling the good ol' days when a man with no depth perception could skate on the ice with none of them bastard kids in his way...though, it still wasn't easy, because you had to walk uphill both ways to get to and from the rink. :D

Wait, you're ranting about a bunch of six year olds? Huh?

I didn't realize there were any female curmudgeons in their early 20s. One of my life goals is to become a curmudgeon, but I was planning on waiting until I'm at least in my fifties.

That's awesome...I can see BPS sitting on his porch in a rocking chair with a musket on HER lap, recalling the good ol' days when a woman with no depth perception could skate on the ice with none of them bastard kids in HER way...though, it still wasn't easy, because you had to walk uphill both ways to get to and from the rink. :D

clarification

I really hate it when kids invade the playground. Digging in the sand with their little plastic shovels & buckets, hogging the swingset and climbing on the jungle-gym...it's SO aggravating. Some of them won't share their toys, and I've even seen them throw sand. Damn those little brats! :cross:

I really hate it when kids invade the playground. Digging in the sand with their little plastic shovels & buckets, hogging the swingset and climbing on the jungle-gym...it's SO aggravating. Some of them won't share their toys, and even seen them throw sand. Damn those little brats! :cross:

You didn't get angry and start taking milk money did you? :D

the lack of depth perception wasn't a pretty big clue ;)

I don't follow...when I think of "lack of depth perception", I think of someone with an eyepatch: . So maybe it was a clue that BPS is a pirate, but that's it. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually do have a blind person cane (that I don't actually need) for whacking kiddies. Might be a tough on the ice, though, but that would at least be funny.

I was just hit in the head in gym class one too many times.

My wife stays home with my 2.5 and 5 year old boys. She takes them to museums and parks and stuff and constantly complains about the busloads of older school kids that get dropped off in these places and then run amok.

Wait, I think we're missing a bigger point here. Why is someone who is admittedly a bad skater with no depth perception working at an ice rink?:D:confused:

I didn't get the impression that she's working there - sounds to me like she just likes to skate, even though she's not any good at it. She'd just rather have the rink to herself.

You know what I hate? How ****ing loud it is at Chuck E. Cheese! I mean, cripes kids, can you keep it down, I'm trying to have a nice dinner!

Beta, is this you???? :D

oldlady.jpg

(picture edited 'cause this is a family show.)

I didn't get the impression that she's working there - sounds to me like she just likes to skate, even though she's not any good at it. She'd just rather have the rink to herself.

You know what I hate? How ****ing loud it is at Chuck E. Cheese! I mean, cripes kids, can you keep it down, I'm trying to have a nice dinner!

:off: but I've heard that their pizza gives you the sheetz!

Beta, is this you???? :D

(picture edited 'cause this is a family show.)

this is her...

clearly not old... but near-sighted and a bad skater :D

:off: but I've heard that their pizza gives you the sheetz!

this is her...

clearly not old... but near-sighted and a bad skater :D

Somehow not the face I was picturing behind the rant.:p

The way I see it, ice-skating is a kid's activity. Any adults who wish to participate will be permitted so long as they can remember what it's like to be a kid while doing so.

You know. My rant is a little different. See I work in a college town. One of the largest student bodies in the country (PSU, University Park). These kids come into town when the semester is in, clogging everything up with their insipid ways. I had one kid dragging his girlfriend in tow jaywalk during a snowstorm right in front of me once. I slammed on the brakes and almost killed them both (they just jumped right out in front of me). I was laying on the horn. You know, he had the audacity to flip me the bird! Traffic goes from getting across town in 5 minutes to about 20. If you go out to lunch, lines are huge. Our local population nearly doubles (at lease the last time I looked at the numbers), violent crime goes up along with police setting up check points, etc.

Everytime I go ice skating I'm afraid I'm going to fall down and get my fingers sliced off by the skates of the person behind me. It's all I can think about. Or a puck will come flying out of nowhere and knock my teeth out. Yes, I grew up in Michigan, on a lake, and my friends loved hockey. I didn't.

...one reason why I hate large groups on the ice is because I have no depth perception.

What I hate is when they drop a bus load of depth perception challenged people off at the bumper cars.

I mean for crying out loud...they just sit there...nobody moving...bobbing there heads up and down like a bunch of owls trying to gauge the distance between cars...

sheeeeeesh... ;)

Latest posts

Back