Filtering Beer for a new brewer Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loosecannon81

Reaction score
I brewed a 3 gallon batch of experimental beer I decided to filter it after the secondary. After secondary I filtered and the decided to add in 5 oz of corn sugar to prepare for bottling. All beer is bottled but then i thought did i just filter out all the yeast with my 1 micron filter? Am I going to have flat beer after time as elapsed for conditioning? Worst case can i re pitch yeast and add to the bottles? Anyone has any advice?

5 oz of corn sugar sounds like way too much priming sugar for 3 gallons - could even cause bottle bombs when you get yeast back into the bottles. I don't know how the yeast should be added at this time, but you should do something about over-pressure. One option would be to crack the lids open and leave them sitting on top to protect from contamination - let the sugar ferment, then re-prime with the right amount of sugar. For re-priming, I think you're best off to boil sugar in water before adding it.

Yeah, that's about double the sugar you'd need in that size batch for an ale. Yeast cells are typically in the 3-4 micron range (some up to 40 microns) so yes you can potentially filter out most, if not all, of the yeast.

I'm curious to know what 1 micron filter you used to filter your beer. Most beer filters rely on CO2 pressure to force the beer through a filter plate, and if that's the case, why not use CO2 to carbonate the beer in favor of priming sugar?

The main issue as outlined is you have twice as much priming sugar in your beer as you need. :(

So I went to tastybrew.com com and added in my volumes and it calculated 3.3 oz so I see that I used a lot to much sugar. I will have to see how that works out. I used a Purenex 1M-4PK 1-Micron Sediment Water Filter Cartridge, 4-Pack. The reason I bottled versed keg was because I wanted bottles and also because I wanted to see if there was a carb difference. Seems like I am going to have to wait 2 weeks to see the end result and then go from there.

Back