Wort chiller to the extreme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devin81knez

Reaction score
So most places I have seen sale wort chillers for around $70.00. Its usually some copper tubing with a fitting to attach it to your faucet while the other end goes down the drain.So I decided to make my own and beef it up a bit. I used 3/8 copper tubing that I had left over from a job. Used my Carboy dryer as a mold to wrap the copper around. Had a small fountain pump. Filled one side of my sink with water and ice and submerged the pump in that pumping ice water through my coil and out into the other side of my sink. making sure to trickle cold water into the ice side to keep the level up. i have never chilled wort off so fast. It took less than 10 minutes. Sure beats an ice bath.

image-873574039.jpg

Can you take some good pictures of your wort chiller?

I am planning to make a second chiller coil to use as a pre-chiller so I can stick coil #2 in the ice bath and simply pump tap water through the pre-chiller and then into my wort chiller. Saves having to run a pump.

Back