Another brewing injury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradbrewer

Reaction score
My yeast starter boiled over while I was moving the flask off the burner. Hot wort probably feels similar to napalm.

image-875726697.jpg

ouch man, heal fast... looks like you are gonna have to drink a bunch of homebrew to forget about that...

Rotate 'em, the cold one goes on the hand and when it warms up, get another cold one and start drinking the one that warmed up some and so on and so forth until the pain goes away :)

If boiling liquid spills on one of those Oven Gloves and absorbs in it can do even more damage to your skin than if you weren't wearing one. It's better to use a glove that can handle heat that is also water resistant...

Ask me how I know!

+1 on this. A cloth mitt saturated with boiling water will essentially HOLD boiling water against your skin. You need a heat resistant silicone mitt, available anywhere they sell kitchen stuff. I also learned this the hard way.

+HopSpunge+ said:
Works good. Try it next time you get burnt. Takes the pain away.

Horrible advice, theres a huge chance of infection from this. The ONLY topical creams that should be applied to burns are silver nitrate cream and one other that i forget the name of and neither are otc. Im an RN and EMT fyi

Horrible advice, theres a huge chance of infection from this. The ONLY topical creams that should be applied to burns are silver nitrate cream and one other that i forget the name of and neither are otc. Im an RN and EMT fyi

Aye. You could probably put butter on a first degree burn but OP looks to have at least a 2nd degree burn (blistering) so sanitation is important.

You should never put butter or any other oil or fat based whatever on a burn, not only for infection reasons, it also creates a heat trapping layer of insulation. You need to wick the heat away, not trap it

i have never liked the idea of boiling starters in the flask. unless you had like a 5 liter flask.

2 words boys WELDING GLOVES
My pair has paid for itself 100 times over in hospital bills, and at the price they sell em at from harbor frieght, its dumb not to thave a pair or two.

Plus its more manly than a silicone glove, kinda like using a hunting knife vs a paring knife. Makes you feel a little bit more like a man

2 words boys WELDING GLOVES
My pair has paid for itself 100 times over in hospital bills, and at the price they sell em at from harbor frieght, its dumb not to thave a pair or two.

Plus its more manly than a silicone glove, kinda like using a hunting knife vs a paring knife. Makes you feel a little bit more like a man

Forget the gloves, get yourself some socialized healthcare! More trips to the hospital means your winning!

Forget the gloves, get yourself some socialized healthcare! More trips to the hospital means your winning!

Sheesh! And I came here to get away from th politics on TV. Vote in the booth tomorrow. Let's stick to beer here!

Erlenmeyer flasks are a hassle for boilovers. Even with a gas stovetop I found it hard to get the temperature right to avoid it. My solution was to sidestep it. I got 1/2 gallon canning jars from the local big box store, and a canner, for the price of a couple of those flasks. I mashed a small batch of 1.040 wort, boiled it briefly, and then canned it. With it now sterile, I can take one out and pitch yeast for a starter right in the jars, then put them on the stir plate.

You should never put butter or any other oil or fat based whatever on a burn, not only for infection reasons, it also creates a heat trapping layer of insulation. You need to wick the heat away, not trap it

Exactly. Old wives take. The temporary soothing is more than offset by the increased burn

Keep ice in the freezer. If you don't have ice use something like a bag of frozen corn.
I also have an aloe plant in the kitchen. A big healthy one that's ready for me to be stupid!
After you are done with the ice, the aloe will actually help with the healing.

Latest posts

Back