Hoppy Red Ale (India Red Ale?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPritchard

Reaction score
Ok. I've been digging on a few hoppy red ales of late (specifically Cascazilla and Hop Head Red). I put together what I'm hoping will be a delicious recipe, but I'm not so where I should start with the yeast. Any input would be great.

@151 degrees
9.5 pale 2 row
1.5lb crystal 60
1lb carapils
4oz crystal 120
2oz black patent

.75oz chinook 60min
2oz cascade 15min
2oz crystal 0min
1oz Amarillo 3day
1oz cascade 3day

Ive read somewhere that a Whitbread Dry would work well in a Cascazilla type beer, but I was thinking California Ale. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Can't go too wrong with california or northwest ale yeast. I like a little munich malt in reds myself. Adds some nice flavor and a little reddish color. Recipe looks tasty though.

I would cut back on the crystal 60, and maybe add some munich. Also, in my opinion, 1lb of carapils is too much for any 5gal recipe.
For the yeast, maybe try the San Diego super strain?

I would go with any well attenuating yeast.....just depends how estery you want it. You could go clean and use Cal ale yeast or maybe a yeast that is a bit fruitier. My house red uses WL001...I want the hops to be the showcase.

Cal is good. I've had very good results with American ale II (1272). I agree adding some Munich will give nice color. I use it often.

Back