Whirlpooling Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluesNBrews

Reaction score
Greetings. I just recently purchased a Blichmann boilermaker brew kettle with a hop blocker. I seem to have difficulty creating a whirlpool that will result in the hops dropping into the middle of the brew pot. I generally use a large spoon to try and get the whirlpool going, but keep clanking up against the hardware inside the kettle. I wait a few minutes for everything to settle, but end up with clogging.

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thanks.

I have a similar issue with my Boilermaker. The best solution I've found so far is to use my pump and recirculate the wort back into the kettle through a screen...It's a pain. I've even formed a piece of 1/2'' copper and bent it so it lays up against the side of the kettle to try and keep trub out, but to no avail. I'm at the point where I'm contemplating changing from a plate chiller, which always gets clogged, to either an immersion or counterflow.

How long are you letting it settle? I use tight fast circles in the center of the pot, get a good vortex going, then let it sit for awhile. "Awhile", could be 5 minutes while I get the carboy ready. I generally get a nice cone in the middle, but leaf hops, whirlfloc, and other factors make each time a little different.

You could try stainless steel wool over your inlet too.

Nylon hop bags are a waste. I bought several a few brews ago and they didn't serve me well (yes I tied them tight). The worst part is trying to clean them...I usually let my wort settle for about 5-10 minutes after whirlpool. Last weekend I even let it settle for over an hour, due to some curious neighbors. Still no dice.

Pelipen, wouldn't the stainless steel wool get clogged too? What about when I brew an IPA with 4-6 oz. of hops? Maybe I should just start using whole hops instead of pellets...

mclamb6 said:
Hop spider. I don't have any issues with hop "trub" since I made one.

+1 to this. The best use of about $8 can be found here.

http://***********/stories/projects...-it-yourself/2494-build-a-hop-spider-projects

Just make sure the clamp it tight. And don't ask me how I know that. :)

I've seen/heard about hop-spiders for a while but never gave them much thought because I like to leave the lid on my BK when boiling. But I just had an epiphany on how to get it to work perfectly. Thanks Brew-Jay, I'll give that a whirl. Will probably be a couple weeks before I can brew again though...perfect to put this contraption together!

This was a question that I still have not answered to perfection - not specifically the hop blocker question, but keeping hops out in general. It's like an equation with a lot of variables, like details of your system, how you chill, type of hops, whether you whirlpool and/or settle.

In general I find screens of any type work great with leaf hops but not so great with pellet hops. Hops spiders for me always clog with gunk, not necessarily hops, but kettle trub and proteins or whatever. Hop bags result in reduced utilization. The best hops flavor are from letting the hops go free in the kettle IMO. So after pursuing all these different directions, I just kind of wondered, why am I fighting this so hard? What is the big deal about a little hops getting into your fermenter from a beer quality point of view?

I decided I wanted to pursue ease of use. So I dropped anything that was fussy. I only use a screen if I'm using leaf hops, otherwise, side pickup. I went back to an immersion chiller because they're not fussy, they don't clog, they clean easy. I put a whirlpool port in my kettle and got a pump so I don't have to try and stir to do it. Now I whirlpool while chilling, cuts my chilling time down to 10 minutes, and then I pull the IC out and keep whirlpooling. Any kind of obstruction in the kettle will interrupt a good whirlpool, and isn't that what a hop blocker is?

Whirlpool for 10-15 more minutes, let it settle for 15 to 30 minutes. The junk that is down there is not all hops, a lot of it is cold break material. So far I have not managed to get that stuff to stay in the middle, but it doesn't hurt the beer. So what if a little hops gets into your fermenter? If you don't have a plate chiller to clog, no big deal.

Everyone's system and needs are different, just thought I'd pass on my experience.

Nylon hop bags are a waste. I bought several a few brews ago and they didn't serve me well (yes I tied them tight). The worst part is trying to clean them...I usually let my wort settle for about 5-10 minutes after whirlpool. Last weekend I even let it settle for over an hour, due to some curious neighbors. Still no dice.

I use hops bags with no problems at all.
At the end I let them drain out all the extra wort, and squeeze out the extra with some gloves, which I wear anyway when dealing with hot liquid.

To clean them I turn them inside out , dump the hops, and hos eit off, and let it dry.

BluesNBrews, have you watched John Blichmann's demonstration video on youtube?

Looks like there are a couple steps to follow when you're draining. Might help, or is it just the whirlpool that's the problem?

PS. I'm another 'no hop bag' brewer. I had used them for awhile but they always gunked up during the boil and I feel that my beers have improved since I quit using them.

Last edited by a moderator:
InSo after pursuing all these different directions, I just kind of wondered, why am I fighting this so hard? What is the big deal about a little hops getting into your fermenter from a beer quality point of view?

No big deal unless you are using a plate chiller. For those of us with them, there is a big deal about clogging the PC with hop debris.

No big deal unless you are using a plate chiller. For those of us with them, there is a big deal about clogging the PC with hop debris.

Right, and I don't mean to sound like a smart ass here, but now one piece of equipment makes your process more complicated somewhere else. I guess that was part of the light bulb going off for me. I don't want more complications, I want less. Just personal taste.

Also I don't see where the OP says he has a plate chiller. I was suggesting that he examine why he wants to get all the hops debris out...if he has a plate chiller, he has a good reason. If he doesn't, maybe he doesn't really need to.

Right, and I don't mean to sound like a smart ass here, but now one piece of equipment makes your process more complicated somewhere else. I guess that was part of the light bulb going off for me. I don't want more complications, I want less. Just personal taste.

To each his own. I used an IC for years, a CFC and now a plate chiller. There's always a tradeoff and having to keep hops out of the plate chiller is a no-brainer "hoop" for me to jump through to continue using one.

Also I don't see where the OP says he has a plate chiller. I was suggesting that he examine why he wants to get all the hops debris out...if he has a plate chiller, he has a good reason. If he doesn't, maybe he doesn't really need to.

I also don't see where he said he didn't. Even if he did say he had another type of chiller (he didn't specify), HBT threads are started by one person, but they can help many. We don't have to limit ourselves to just the OPs system when discussing whirlpooling techniques.

Back