German inspired Session bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
I want to make a german inspired session beer for October...This is two of the ideas I am kicking around. The British pale malt in the first one is actually Golden promise malt...

The second one with the honey malt was quoted to be an acceptable sub for munich.

I wanted to go 33/33/33 vienna munich pils but am short on the munich. Whether or not this is truly a Ofest beer is fine, because I am going to ferment with wyeast 1007 at 55 degrees from a quarter of a yeast cake that just got done with a small English Bitter (4.2 percent abv).

I also have 4 pounds of Carapils that I can utilize in some amount.

german session original.jpg

german session beer 5.jpg

I think they'll be really good! The only thing I'd change is 2 ounces of saaz at 15 minutes- I love saaz, but they are "spicy" and that's pretty forward. 2 ounces for flavor is a lot, in my opinion.

The hopping is the same for both beers? I'd probably change them, and use saaz in one and hallertauer in the other, so they are different.

Thanks for the input, I was going to make one or the other,,,I've not used saaz for a couple years and don't have any personal reference point regarding use of them, and have lots of hops but for this beer was thinking of using some sort of configuration of these hops that I have on hand:

Pellets:
2oz Saaz , or 2 oz Sterling

Cone hops:
1 oz UK kent goldings, 1oz German Hallertau

So...., maybe cut back on the Saaz to an ounce for flavor? Maybe Dry hop the remainder?

Thanks for the input, I was going to make one or the other,,,I've not used saaz for a couple years and don't have any personal reference point regarding use of them, and have lots of hops but for this beer was thinking of using some sort of configuration of these hops that I have on hand:

Pellets:
2oz Saaz , or 2 oz Sterling

Cone hops:
1 oz UK kent goldings, 1oz German Hallertau

So...., maybe cut back on the Saaz to an ounce for flavor? Maybe Dry hop the remainder?

Or, use the hallertauer for bittering, and then .5 ounce saaz at 15, and .5 ounce saaz at 5. I think that would be more traditionally hopped, with a clean spicy saaz flavor and aroma. For the first recipe, I'd reduce the IBUs a tad anyway, and hallertauer makes a nice bittering hop for German style ales.

Back