Local beers to california

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
So I've been looking for as many good beers as possible that are local to California and I've found a few that have been pretty good and some not so good. Anybody have any suggestions some that I may have not tried yet?

-Basically anything from Stone (go for the Cali-Belgique, Sublimely Self-Righteous and Ruination for starters)
-Firestone 805
-Russian River Pliney (Younger and Elder)
-Figueroa Mtn. Hoppy Poppy IPA & Stagecoach Stout (bloody excellent stuff, though their red lager isn't too impressive)
-Santa Cruz Ale Works Pale Ale
-Knee Deep Hoptologist IIPA & Simtra Triple IPA
-Indian Wells Orange Blossom Amber (and the Lobotomy Bock if you're up for an "adventure"...)

Lagunitas Ipa is one of my favorite ipa's. Indian wells orange blossom amber sounds tasty. My first all grain batch was an orange blossom honey amber. It was just a recipe I bought and just added the honey. I've had Most of the stuff mentioned just didn't know it was californian. Keep going'...I need some more to try.

Bear Republic has some really nice offerings as well, though I've found their food to be average and the service to be abysmal on most occasions.

Firestone: union jack, double barrel,double jack, wookie jack, & pale 31 are all very good.

Go with the hype:

IMAG0241.jpg

All of Alpine's IPAs are fantastic. I especially like Nelson and Duet, but you cannot go wrong with anything, really.

I haven't seen Cismontane Brewing mentioned yet. They make some damned good beer.

all of the above, plus:

moylan's, especially hopsickle, moylander, and blarney.

mad river brewing co. their steelhead dipa is a standout.

anything from drake's.

no one has said sierra nevada yet. this brewery can't make a bad beer. from their pale ale to hoptimum to tumbler to their porter. all fantastic.

california, much like colorado, just seems to do something special when brewing beer.

cheers.

Back