Wiring help for the eclectically impaired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight

Reaction score
Ok first off I have done a ton of research and all it does is confuse me even more. I have my brew stand build and all of my kettle connections welded up and disconnect and such that was cake for me welding is what I do. I have a lot of questions that maybe you electrical geniuses’ out there could help me with (all I know how to do is wire an outlet).

So here is what I have so far rims tube with a 1500 watt element and this stuff from auber:

1 ea. 1/4 DIN PID Temperature Controller
Item #: SYL-43X2
• Output Configuration Option - SYL-4342 Relay Contactor $59.50
1 ea. Liquid tight K type, 4 in probe, 1/2 NPT Thread
Item #: TC-K100M1/2NPT $26.95
1 ea. 25A SSR
Item #: RS1A40D25

I would also like to add a temperature display showing the actual mash tun temp on my control box and would like to know what pid or whatever I should get for that and which sensor.

I would like a timer for mash/boil hop additions digital also incorporated in to my control panel.

I would like to add an on off switch each for my two pumps in the control panel as well.

And master on off switch for the whole panel.

I would like to power all this from one heavy duty 110v power cord (if possible I have no idea what I’m doing).

If anyone can give me a parts list and a wiring diagram (I don’t even know what kind of box or where to get it from. I would be more than happy to help with any welding issues that you might have.

I know I’m asking a lot put I really need some help thanks for even reading this.

I'm pretty good at welding tube I would be happy to trade lol

2012-01-16 07.28.24.jpg

2012-01-16 07.50.25.jpg

2012-01-16 07.05.06.jpg

2012-01-16 07.46.07.jpg

2012-01-16 07.42.55.jpg

Mcmaster has a good selection but they aren't cheap. I go to electronic surplus shops and scrounge around for the best prices.

When building a brew system being eclectic can be a good thing....

If you want to come out to Oregon with all your electrical stuff I wuold gladly help with your panel in exchange for some TIG lessons. I have the welder and everything, just lacking skilz like yours...

Probably not going to happen

I have a spare 12x12x6 box that I ended up not using for my build. If you are interested I could give it to you really cheap. PM me if you would like more info (pics).

Yes would be interested in that a pic or two please. I want to fit 2 pids and a temp display plus 2 pump switches in it. Would that be big enough I have no idea.

Hrm - you should have gotten an SSR PID, not a relay PID, but you can make it work still. You'll need a 3-32 volt DC source, (a wall-wort for charging a cellphone or the like will work fine), to give power to the SSR through the contactor relay in the PID. (The difference is an SSR PID PROVIDES power to the SSR. A Relay PID only turns power on and off to the SSR - you need a power source, in this case the wall wort).

As for the temp display, I believe Auber has cheap ones that you can just hook up to another RTD probe...hmm, can't find it. You could just get another PID to do the temp readout too.

Oh, I see you have a K-type thermocouple. Use that for your MLT, and get a an RTD probe for the RIMS itself. RTDs are more sensitive, better for the RIMS control.

As for the rest of your questions, the electric brewing subforum on this site is FULL of info. Check it out.

Thank you good info will look at that. I hope my service guy can use that pid I bought then or I will just get the right one and use the other for the mlt.

Back