GFCI in RIMS Toolbox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarnett

Reaction score
I'm planning a 120V RIMS Toolbox. Both of my brewing locations (basement and patio) already have 20 amp GFCI receptacles, but I've been known to brew at my brother-in-law's and I'm not sure what kind of outlets he has. With the toolbox being portable, I thought I might put a GFCI inside it. I know plugging the toolbox in to an unprotected outlet will leave part of it energized if the internal GFCI trips, so it's not a perfect solution.

Is the internal GFCI worth it, or should I just never plug the toolbox in to non-GFCI outlets? Would having two GFCIs in a row be a problem?

Why not get an extension cord with a GFCI built in? I don't like the idea of having anything in the box powered when a problem happens.

Why not get an extension cord with a GFCI built in? I don't like the idea of having anything in the box powered when a problem happens.

Ah! That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that because I'm building my own cord with locking connector on one end. But McMaster sells an inline GFCI rated for 20 amps (part #7228K12) that I can wire in.

And it seems that two GFCI's in a row (one in the cord or toolbox and one in the wall) may not be a problem, but could lead to nuisance trips. I think I'll wait and save up some $$$ to buy the inline GFCI for a separate power cord. That way I can use the correct cord as the situation warrants. In the meantime, I'll only brew on protected outlets.

GFCI
Receptacles have line and load terminals if you wire the panel guts on the load side of the GFCI everything will be protected. As long as your "box" is 120v. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back