Whirpool Chiller Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoronBrothersBrewery

Reaction score
About to make the investment in an immersion whirpool chiller, and I've got some basic questions, but I can't seem to find clear answers. BTW... need to invest in a pump also. I know you guys will be able to help out.

Sanitization? Do I just run the pump the last 15 min of the boil, and pump water from the valve back up through chiller?

Can you pump boiling water through the pump?

Should I install a valve to control the flow of the pump?

I guess, what I'm asking for is, what's the best way to use this whirpool chiller? from start to finish.

Any help in this process would be awesome. Thanks!

I don't know anything about whirlpool chillers, but the march 809 is foodgrade high temp( over boiling temp) and yes you want to have a ball valve on the output.

About to make the investment in an immersion whirpool chiller, and I've got some basic questions, but I can't seem to find clear answers. BTW... need to invest in a pump also. I know you guys will be able to help out.

Sanitization? Do I just run the pump the last 15 min of the boil, and pump water from the valve back up through chiller?

I guess, what I'm asking for is, what's the best way to use this whirpool chiller? from start to finish.

Any help in this process would be awesome. Thanks!

To sanitize, drop the IC into your kettle with about 15 minutes left, hook up your pump to the whirlpool arm on the IC and open the kettle valve full and open the pump valve full and turn it on. During the cool down process I see no reason to throttle the pump, but you can turn the valve off to move your hose from the whirlpool arm to your fermenter. I move boiling or near boiling liquids through my pump all the time with no issues... I also use a March 809.

I give it a good scrubbing prior to brewing - clean to the eye. Put the entire chiller system in your boil the last 15m. I recirculate as well to sterilize my brew hoses.[/COLOR

As long as the pump is rated for high temps. If you are using the standard March Pump then - yes.

Yes. You will likely have it fully open for whirlpool, but you will need the control of your pump for other applications (like sparging)

I actually use two pumps for whirlpool. I live in Texas and brew 10g batches - so chilling is an issue. During chill, I recirculate wort through the whirlpool. I also pump ice water through the chiller. Many people use a submersible pond pump for to do this, if you don't want to invest in an additional March Pump. The important part is to keep your kettle covered during the chill process - especially if you brew outside. Once you get the wort down to temp, quickly pull the chiller shut every thing off, cover the pot and WALK AWAY. Let the wort settle for about 15mins. Most of the cold break and hops will fall into a big pile of trub and you will send clean wort to your fermenter. I just use my whirlpool pump and pump straight into the fermenter.

Back