prepare for my first tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think i want to take on a tripel. I've done some searching and it seems that what i probably want to do is brew something basic, like a blonde ale, or wit and use the yeast cake (or at least part of it) from that beer to start my tripel. Ive never reused a yeast cake and have been reading here about it and looking at mrmalty to figure it out. Is this the basic idea? and if so will the wit, or blonde be a good starting point, what other beers might make a good starter. I do have a blue moon clone is primary right now, so that would be nice if it would work.

Mike

What yeast are you using for your blue moon? Some wit yeasts are better for tripels than others.

You'll need some special techniques to get the attenuation high enough. Read this, if you haven't already: http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm
A long step mash is good. I like to do a hochkurz decoction for my big belgians.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction_Mashing#Hochkurz_Double_Decoction

Depending on your OG, you'll probably be fine pitching onto the whole yeast cake. In practice, I've never been able to over-pitch my big belgians. I usually wash my yeast to get rid of the big chunks of trub, but that's probably not necessary.

thanks for those links. Step mash is our for me as its not really feasible with my equipment (cooler mash tun with stainless braid). The decoction looks like something that would be doable. Ill have to read more about it.

Ill have to look as far as my blue moon yeast, but I used a dry for this one and I think it was t58, will have to look when i get home.

When I use decoction mashes, I get a 10-12% boost to my efficiency, so keep that in mind when you're making your recipe.

FWIW - I do a long infusion mash at low temp (90min+ at 148F) to optimize the fermentables in my tripel - this may not give the same complexity as a step or decoction mash but is much more time efficient and seems to do the trick. Also, I would use a Belgian yeast strain - strong ale or abbey ale if possible to get the flavor profile you are after and have the nads to go high on the alcohol, especially if you are adding sugar to get that dry finish.

thanks for those links. Step mash is our for me as its not really feasible with my equipment (cooler mash tun with stainless braid).

Sure it is. I do it regularly. The solution is to use less strike liquor.

One thing I've noticed about homebrewers is a tendency to make really soupy mashes, like really thin oatmeal (often less viscous). I don't know why this is, other than a concern about conversion due to insufficient wetting.

If you start with 1 quart per pound of grist, you'll get a stiff dough-in which will readily convert. If you stick your mash paddle into the mash and it stands up, good. If it falls over, it's too wet.

Then you can step up your mash in your non-heated tun by adding boiling liquor; this might require an assistant to stir while you add liquor (or vice-versa).

When I step mash I use the Fix 50/60/70C regimen, and all temperatures are raised with boiling liquor.

Ill have to look as far as my blue moon yeast, but I used a dry for this one and I think it was t58, will have to look when i get home.

I'm interested in trying T58 in the more classic styles. I've never tried it (I've far more experience with 3787 than any other yeast for Tripel), and prefer to use others as guinea pigs. :D So I'll read your report with great interest.

Cheers! :mug:

Bob

Back