Campfire Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swankyswede

Reaction score
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society, I call this beer The Campfire Stout.

--------
8 lbs. UK Pale Ale
2 lbs. Cherrywood Smoked Malt
0.75 lbs. UK Roasted Barley

23g 12% AA Nugget @ 60 mins

Nottingham Ale Dry Yeast

60 min mash @ 151 degF
--------

Brewing this right now, and it smells delicious.
Thoughts?

I like it. I'm planning something similar this summer but I'm going to home roast some 2row over a mesquite campfire in my backyard for an hr or so.

I'm just wondering if its going to turn out like smoked malt and how much to use

I'm just wondering if its going to turn out like smoked malt and how much to use

I hear that mesquite and hickory malt definitely taste like barbecue in the beer, as opposed to standard German rauchmalt which is more neutral, or at least as neutral as smoked malt can be. One thing to remember is to let the malt rest for a week or two after smoking to let it mellow a bit, otherwise it's super potent.

As for amount, a standard rauchbier has about 50% of the base malt replaced with smoked malt, so I guess go from there. My stout is about 20% cherrywood smoked malt, but it's still fermenting so I can't tell you how it turned out yet...

Yea, I was thinking 20-30% smoked malt for my first batch also. What do you think of using some crystal malt also to add some sweetness to the bitter smoky flavor?

Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe a smoked octoberfest? Something nice and malty with that hint of smoke would be an amazing fall beer.

Latest posts

Back