Help with Dunkel and Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymbtheduke

Reaction score
Well I made the Death by Dunkel recipe and it is 4 weeks old stopped bubbling at 16 days.

My OG was 1.060 (at 75 deg) and it fermented at 61 degs on Wyeast Kolsch for 4 weeks. I just moved it to the keg but the gravity was 1.018 (at 61 deg).

When I opened the bucket there was about a half an inch of krausen on the top. Very stick, fatty, gooey. Is this normal for Kolsch?

I really want this to work ( I love Warsteiner) so my question is:

1. do I move the keg to a warmer part of the house and try to get the yeast to get the gravity down?

2. add some notty

3. let it sit for another week than carb for a week and hope it is good?

I tasted it but had some krausen and yeast in it so wasn't a good sample.

Help is appreciated.

1) No. The gravity is probably as low as it is going to go. You also do not want to subject the beer to any possible ester production from higher temperatures.

2) No. See #1.

3) Transfer to secondary and get it cold. You are making a pseudo lager here so some time at cold temps will definitely be a good thing. Give the beer a couple of weeks at 40F or colder then check it and package.

Back