Seattle vs Charleston- IPA Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarvMoney

Reaction score
I just moved to Charleston from Seattle and it's hot as hell down here. I used to brew good IPAs in my garage in Seattle, year round, no problem. I'm afraid to try it here, with the heat.

Do I need to buy something to keep my brew at 60-70 degrees while it ferments? Can a cheap fridge keep it at that temp while the rest of the garage is on fire? What happens if I try to ferment it at really hot temps?

Any tips or tricks are welcome! Thanks.

-jarvis

A cheap fridge or some other cooling method is a neccesity even for ales in the south. Without it you will be looking at having a fruity mess with all the esters that will get created. If you don't want to go the fridge rout, a modified cooler works well, or you could go the water bath with a t-shirth trick, but it may be too hot for that. Also, search for the Son of a Fermentation Chiller, I used to have something similar.

Back