Feral Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we harvest Feral Hops?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

timmlimestone

Reaction score
One of the primaries in my collective has been informed that his neighbor used to brew and there are hops on his property, but ver a fence. Neighbor is gone, and we would like to take rhizomes rom the existing. How should we do this?

How long of a cut?
should we use a clipper?
Should we store for alitle longer?

Should we bother?

Is on his father's land, and dad says it is still viable.

FOR THOSE THT ARE HUNG UP ON SOME SORT OF SCI-FI REFERENCE - Put Down the Hookah and here is an explainer!

I am part of a group of 10 guys that get together and brew beer. You may call us a club, and we do quite often, but sometimes you have to pull htat thesaurus out from under the short leg on your hideously outdated couch and use for something else besides supporting your chickenscratch while your sign the pizza hut receipt.

Primary being one of the three other guys that makes an effort to come every brew, and makes an effort to be a part of the process.

I am sorry, but we have yet to have any elections, so I have not risen to the ranks of head poobah of poopoo yet. I am just one of 10 guys that brews beer together.

I like beer.

WERE IN A SHORTAGE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ID KILL FOR SOME RHIZOMES RIGHT NOW!!!

Well maybe not.

It could be an online game thing, you know like WOW freaks and such. The primary in his collective could be on the other side of the planet, but to him the virtual world is more real than the real world.

Could you imagine spending all day talking with people over the internet who you have never met about stuff, that you all like to do. I mean yikes, talk about a weird thing to do. :)

Yeah who the hell would spend hours on here asking for advice and giving advice to people they have never met before about a subject that is basically a very small niche hobby that consumes bank accounts and personal lives:rockin:

that would be most of us

srsly, I wanna know what the hell a "primary in my collective" means. Are you part of the UEP? I thought they banished people for consuming mind-altering substances! APOSTASY! APOSTASY!!!!

This kind of reminds me of EB Farnum from Deadwood.

Anyway. So your neighbor has some hops. He does not brew. He is not home. You want to climb the fence and harvest those rhizomes?

Without permission is sounds like Trespassing and Theft to me.

Wait until the neighbor returns and simply ask if you can take a few cuttings instead of sneaking over the fence and stealing his stuff.

+1 Even if that guy doesn't own the property anymore, somebody else does. If you want to harvest hops or rhizomes that are on someone else's property, ask permission first.

I'd say dig the whole tap root out, if the owner doesn't care. They'll grow back from the side roots anyway and you'll get a faster start. Identifying them will be a pain. I brewed a batch from some hops that were growing in a drainage ditch, probably Fuggle. Turned out ok.

Don't suppose you could include a fellow Wisconsinite in all of this, eh? :mug:

I used to live there but got forced to relocate to ND. I'd pay shipping if you get any extra viable rhizomes. I haven't gotten my shipment yet and at this rate, never will. : P

I am part of a group of 10 guys that get together and brew beer. You may call us a club, and we do quite often, but sometimes you have to pull htat thesaurus out from under the short leg on your hideously outdated couch and use for something else besides supporting your chickenscratch while your sign the pizza hut receipt.

Primary being one of the three other guys that makes an effort to come every brew, and makes an effort to be a part of the process.

I am sorry, but we have yet to have any elections, so I have not risen to the ranks of head poobah of poopoo yet. I am one of 10 guys that brews beer.

I like beer.

It is the father's land. The neighbor had the hops on the border. Neighbor is no longer - dead. Hops are still there. We have the permission to pull the hops.

Thank you David 42 for answering the question that was asked. How to harvest. And the collective here seems to agree that hops in this environment are a good thing.

To Ein Gutes Bier - I can and will include if the harvest is right. But only if you can answer this one question...

What is the WORST thing to happen to Wisconsin in the last 20 years?

timmlimestone

timmlimestone said:
but sometimes you have to pull htat thesaurus out from under the short leg on your hideously outdated couch and use for something else besides supporting your chickenscratch while your sign the pizza hut receipt.

Let me guess: You're from Madison, right?

TOSA, Man and I am a huge brewer fan of the brewers. Went on Friday and on Saturday. Where do you get your tappers for your Perlick setup? Do they seal after the handle or before?

Dude, Just call it a club and be done. Nothing wrong with just saying, "I belong to a brewing club, and want to steal some hops plants". You'd probalby get the help a lot faster. I doubt anyone here would be too overconcerned about legality, considering the shortage we are all facing.

And, I'm amazed that someone didn't offer the assistance way before now. You guys are usually more helpful that this. That said, there is a search function, and I bet you could get an answer by typing "hops growing" and see what kind of theft you'd prefer that way.

david_42 clearly stated the best approach, imho. You could attempt a cutting as well, but it involves a higher risk of failure.

Homercidal said:
Dude, Just call it a club and be done. Nothing wrong with just saying, "I belong to a brewing club, and want to steal some hops plants". You'd probalby get the help a lot faster. I doubt anyone here would be too overconcerned about legality, considering the shortage we are all facing.

And, I'm amazed that someone didn't offer the assistance way before now. You guys are usually more helpful that this. That said, there is a search function, and I bet you could get an answer by typing "hops growing" and see what kind of theft you'd prefer that way.

Actually, legality is fairly well discussed topic around here. Think "keg ethics"

And, the OP got plenty of advice. It just also came with a small helping of ball busting. It's all in good fun though:mug:

c.n.budz said:
Actually, legality is fairly well discussed topic around here. Think "keg ethics"

And, the OP got plenty of advice. It just also came with a small helping of ball busting. It's all in good fun though:mug:

It took 12 posts before anyone bothered to tell him the method of getting the hops. There were maybe three posts that basically said "Yes, get those hops", which doesn't help him know how to actually do it.

The KEG Ethics is one thing, where the item in question is being stolen, whereas, with hops, you can get what you need, and still leave the plant there for the owner's use. I know this is still theft AND trespassing, but I'm sure the poster can decide this moral question for himself. He sounds like a big boy. I think his question wasn't "Is this legal?", but rather, "What would you do?" My experience from hanging out around here is that people will do just about anything for something free, especially hops. I know I would.

My point is that I noticed several posts which seemed to make fun of, or pick on his post, rather than answer the posed question(s). This seemed out of character for these forums, where picking on someone like that usually goes along with the answer.

This is the weirdest thread I've seen in awhile.

I'm guessing you're taking the Brett Favre thing pretty hard?

Neighbor is gone? Do you mean moved and the house/land is vacant?

First, I would try to locate the neighbor/property owner and ask permission. That is just the right thing to do.

As far as collecting the plant I would go for the crown. Dig a 1 foot square around the location of the bines and cut away roots with a sharp knife. You want to cut through and not just crush through the woody bits.

If you can't locate anyone to give permission try this,

Take one of the bines and partially bury it, still connected to the host plant, in the ground with leaves and such still attached and available to gather sunlight. The buried part should propogate itself as a rhisome and develope a root system through the year. Next spring, when the soil is warm enough to get your hands in it. Dig up the new crown and relocate as desired.

F that. I'm getting sick and tired of people complaining and micromanaging threads that receive the answers they deserve. If you want a straight answer about how to harvest rhizomes, don't include all kind of fraternal organization references and who owns what. You're just begging for sidebars.

Here's another one:

1. "I got a keg of PBR and didn't bring it back. How can I convert into a keggle?"

2. "How do I cut the top of a keg to make a keggle?"

Which one do you think will get the most direct answers? Don't ask don't tell will keep you out of forum hell. That's my motto.

I have to agree with Bobby on this one. However, even if you ask a very specific question, people tend to tell you what they want to tell you prompting the OP to re-ask, and re-ask, until someone understands they are wanting to know "what they ask-exactly!" LOL, sorry. I have learned about talking on forums since my specific post and getting mad about it not being answered with the information I ask.

I have no advice on the hops, as I am just learning myself. However, on an ethics basis (since it was asked) stealing is stealing be-it a flower or whatever. I always ask before, because you never know how psycho people are over what is the smallest thing in "your" mind. If you want to know a specific question ask it, if you are vague and asking a "loaded" question expect a lot more busy-talk. Last, from what I have experienced, don't get a little mad if your specific question goes unanswered with a lot of what other people think you should do, even if you didn't ask what they would do. Eventually, people who are interested in answering the specific question will and you will get your information. Worse case, you keep asking. :D

I completely agree about the extraneous information. But keep in mind, not everyone is very good at communicating. Why anyone would need a thesaurus to ask how to translplant hops is beyond me. It's a beer forum after all. I simply assume the poster has been imbibing.

Plus, the search feature is very helpful, and so is actually just scanning through the posts. There is a ton of good info in this forum.

For some reason, I still can't get an image of a high school geek and his buddies, drunk off his homebrew, trying to get help in digging up his neighbor's plants out of my head. Not that I should talk. I'm trying to figure out where to get a complete "Battlestar Galactica" outfit (casual military) from the new series.

I must be bored but after reading this...one thing comes to mind.
trainwreck.jpg

Let's remember that this is a discussion community and not a IT help desk where you can expect an instant direct answer to your question with a smile. In fact, unlike a helpdesk with a multi-tree script, we are damned good at reading between the lines. While there's plenty of good information being exchanged, it has a life of its own and I mostly appreciate it that way.

To answer the OP question... go ahead and hack yourself a piece of root but keep in the back of your mind that some buck shot might end up in the back of your mind. Stealing is bad, Mkay?

Back