Unmilled grain still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navmatt

Reaction score
So I picked up some 2-row from my LHBS about 4 motnhs ago, life has conspired to keep me from brewing. The grain has been kept in a paper bag in my garage.

Any way to know if it is still good or not?

The garage bit might have something to do if it is anything like my garage. It should be kept cool and dry and with cars running in there and snow melting off them I would wonder. Smell it and taste it. If they pass those tests then they are most likely good.

Well no room to park cars in my garage too many hobbies :D

I'll taste it and check for rodent penetration

Thanks!

Bugs, moisture, and mold.

That's about all that can ruin uncrushed grain. As long as it seems clear of those guys, you're good.

Get some cheap bins like these for the future.

As I step up to AG, I'm weighing out my options to do something similar due to the same concerns. Although I don't have a mill, so it's not entirely practical yet.

greyday said:
How long is crushed grain good for?

A long time! I'm sure uncrushed keeps better, but I've not seen much evidence either way. I stopped worrying when I used some year old crushed grain to win a blue ribbon at the state fair.

greyday said:
How long is crushed grain good for?

It all kind of depending on the quality of the grain, and the storage method used... Before I had my own mill I used to keep my crushed grains in the fridge, and I never had any issues with them going stale. But I didn't keep a lot on hand either...

The only down side to this was having to remember to take the grains put of the fridge the night before brew day so that they could acclimate to room temp for my mash in procedure. I guess I could have just adjusted my brew software for the grain temp, but what is the fun in that?

HollisBT said:
It all kind of depending on the quality of the grain, and the storage method used... Before I had my own mill I used to keep my crushed grains in the fridge, and I never had any issues with them going stale. But I didn't keep a lot on hand either...

The only down side to this was having to remember to take the grains put of the fridge the night before brew day so that they could acclimate to room temp for my mash in procedure. I guess I could have just adjusted my brew software for the grain temp, but what is the fun in that?

Ah, good to know. I picked up some grains for a batch of scotch whisky style mead a few days ago and crushed them in the shop, they're in a Baggie. I figured they'd be good for a few days at least, but that comment got me worried, as I planned on starting that day but got too busy to do it. Going to start it tonight or tomorrow...

Ah, good to know. I picked up some grains for a batch of scotch whisky style mead a few days ago and crushed them in the shop, they're in a Baggie. I figured they'd be good for a few days at least, but that comment got me worried, as I planned on starting that day but got too busy to do it. Going to start it tonight or tomorrow...

One of the posts on here a couple months ago quoted a maltster as saying that stored at room temperature and kept dry that the milled malted grain would remain fresh for several months. A few days isn't much concern and refrigeration isn't necessary for the grains. Hops are different and should be kept refrigerated or frozen for the best results.

Im getting back into brewing and made an APA with a bag of grains from a group bulk buy that was 2 years ago. I milled it and it smelled good and so did the mash. The specialty grains were fresh. I'll find out in a couple of weeks

Back