How to Keg-to-keg Blend???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAlexander

Reaction score
So I kegged up a Black Ale last week and apparently something went wrong in my mash and/or grain bill. My FG was 1.009 after secondary from 1.059 post boil. My flavor profile was spot on but it is nearly as thin as water on my tongue, no bueno. Luckily im a bit of a hoarder and I have about 3 gallons of a wee-heavy still left in a keg I ended up thinking was off just a bit (too bitter and too sweet). So while sitting down and contemplating dumping the 2 kegs of weak Black Ale I decided to try some bench trial blending. wouldn't ya know it that at 33% weird-heavy and 66% Bleak Black, It turned into quite the decent "Dark Ale". It didn't really retain its "deep Black" when held against the light but it retained some depth in color with low roasty notes and maybe a sprinkle of chocolate and a drip of coffee. Dry hop aromas are still dancing around and the bitterness is on the strong side but still pleasant and forgiving. But more importantly the caramel malts and large Munich percentage from the weird-heavy livened up the body.

Now that I was graciously givin this salvage opportunity from the beer lords, I need some advice on how to transfer from one keg to another in the safest means possible.

Should I de-gas them the best I can before transferring?
Transfer by pressure?
Rack or gas transfer to a new keg all together?

Release the headspace pressure in both kegs. Make a jumper line, a piece of beer line with a liquid QD on each end. Connect it to the liquid posts of both kegs. Apply gas pressure to the keg you want to transfer from, and pull the pressure relief valve on the keg you want to transfer to.

Back