Perry is 20 lbs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_al

Reaction score
Enough to start a 5 gallon batch?

I'm thinking about a few more lbs in secondary but for the moat part I'm worried about sg, I guess I will be flying blind I don't have a refractometer to measure the sugar in the pears is there another method?

I'm paranoid as it's the first attempt but no matter what it will turn out good I'm sure if not I'll age it some more.

Perry is made from straight pear juice. Watering it down will make a weak tasting low ABV beverage that won't age all that well. Grind the pears, let sit out overnight, juice the next day, ferment the juice. You will love the results.

I was wondering I the recipe was going to be bland. It's from Terry Gerry's book her version of wine or perry basically a sugar adjustment.

Maybe I will make this with a blend of apple juice and pears instead. Not a perry but maybe I can get some pear flavor in there.

I'll have close to 40 lbs of pears in the end not sure yet, still picking as they ripen or fall.

If I understand the question, you r asking if 20lbs of pears will make 5 gal. I believe I read that it takes 12 lbs of apples to make a gallon. So it may be more. You posted you may end up with 40lbs. That will be a lot closer.

I cant remember what they call it, but some people use to make a second batch of cider by taking the previously pressed apples soaking in water over night and then re-pressing. Obviously not as strong as the first press but would still have a pear flavor. Perhaps good enough to top off your carboy if you were close to 5 gal.

The original recipe I found is 4 lbs of pears and 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon,

I was going to rough chop, freeze and put them in a nylon straining bag.

I was thinking it may be pretty weak so I guess I'm looking for recipe input.

Pressing the pears for juice and fermenting that without adding water would make for a much better product I'm sure.

I think I will start with a 1 gallon batch using 4 lbs and freeze the rest for now. And look for additional pears or juice to get a large quantity of juice to ferment later.

Back