Capping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
Wondering if there two types of crown caps cause I tried some of my beer out of a twist top bottle. It didn't seem to be so tight of a fit on the bottle. I use good pressure when capping the bottles. The caps where free with the kit so I guess I thought one size fits all. Oh and the bottles are standard beer bottles.

Unless you have a bench capper, you cannot really use twist off bottles for bottling homebrew. And even using them with a bench capper can sometime be risky because the neck on those is often thinner that crown capped bottles and may break.

Somewhere on here is a list of canadian microbrews that are in crown cappable bottles as opposed to twist offs.

I used a bench capper. So I should now longer use them and go right the golrish bottles then? I will still drink the beer but should I do it faster then wait???

Twist of bottles would normally use a purpose built cap that, well, twists on. You need specialized equipment to attach those so the homebrew option is to use crimp caps and a bench capper. I have never done this but the body of anecdotes suggests that it may sorta work.

I would buy as many import beers as you can (most US craft and all Euro craft will be crimped on caps) and save the bottles. When you visit the US, bring back lots of crimp top craft beer. You'll have to pay duty if you go over the exemption (well maybe, I have been exempted duty more often than not, but I always declare) but I find that is lower than people suspect it will be. I was over my exemption by several liters coming into Japan last week and the duty was 100 yen, or about $1.20.

Funny I have been saving Howe Sound bottles...they are 1 quart capable flip-tops!

Back