American Honey-Lemon Wheat Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
So the SWMBO likes Honey Moon, the summer Blue Moon variant. So when the LHBS sent this month's recipe card labeled American Honey-Lemon Wheat she told me I should brew it. If she is on board with any brewing this is a good thing. Problem is that I really dislike Honey Moon as it's too sweet. She is on board to lessen the sweetness a bit and I am struggling a bit with how to do so.

The original recipe:
6 lbs Wheat Malt Extract
1/2 Lbs Crystal 10
1/2 Lbs Vienna
1/4 Lbs Honey Malt
1 oz Spalt Select, 60 Min
1 oz Dried Lemon Peel (5 Min)
1 Lbs Honey (5 min)
American Hefeweizen Yeast WLP 320 or Wyeast 1010

This will be the first time brewing with honey and honey malt so I don't know quite what to expect.

The guy at the LHBS store said it didn't matter if I used LME or DME, I am planning on using LME as I have a bunch already.

I plan on doing a full boil starting with 7 gal. The results I input into Brewsmith put the IBUs at the low end of the style range (16.6 in a range of 15-30). The Bitterness Ratio is also sweet at 0.357.

I thought of perhaps upping the hops to 1.3 oz to get it right in the middle in terms of bitterness.

I also thought of adding some ground coriander but I want to make the flavor too much.

Finally I am a little worried about using WLP 320 as I don't want that banana flavor common if hefe's and am thinking Wyeast 1010 might be a better choice?

I am wondering if anyone with more experience with honey and these type beers and provide any better recommendations? I would appreciate any and all help!

Thanks

I just learned this from listening to "The Jamil Show" on Northern Brewer's site. Jamil says to use a Kolsch yeast for American Hefe. You won't get the banana and clove flavor and the yeast has notoriously low flocculation.

Let us know how it turns out!

I just learned this from listening to "The Jamil Show" on Northern Brewer's site. Jamil says to use a Kolsch yeast for American Hefe. You won't get the banana and clove flavor and the yeast has notoriously low flocculation.

Let us know how it turns out!

That's good to know. The last American wheat I brewed I used Wyeast 2565 and it turned out great. I am glad you said something, I will go pick some up!

Back