its spruce time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natureboy68

Reaction score
in the interest of brew history; the spruce tips are out here and that got me thinking spruce beer! i will eventually make a molasses/spruce beer, but just want to try out a spruce beer to see about the flavor without the molasses mucking anything up...anyway while perusing JHB, charlie has a kumdis island spruce beer. it calls for breiss CBW traditional dark syrup, i cant seem to find that particular brand,
do the gurus know of a substitution i could make for that brand of syrup?

cheers!

Is it hopped or unhopped? You could use another brand of hopped/unhopped dark LME and sub that. Ideally I would suggest using pale extract and adding your own steeping grain and hops, that will give you more control over the outcome. Hope that helps, good luck.

When I live in Oregon I often enjoyed this Spruce Ale from Siletz Brewing:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/siletz-spruce-ale/13790/10361/

It has a pretty bad rating on RateBeer, mainly folks complaining about infected bottles. I'm surprised. 6 years ago, I had several very good bottles of this without any bad ones. It is a lighter spruce ale. The only other commercial beer with spruce tips i've had is Alaskan Winter Ale, but I'd like to make something more summer-y.

Maybe a pale ale with some wheat DME and some steeped malted wheat? I'd like to make a spruce summer ale, and i wonder if the spruce and wheat would play nicely.

Back