How to sell home brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
Just for S and G's how would you ever go about legally selling your beer to a local bar or what ever?

Differs from state to state...
also be aware that you'd fall under all of the standard restaurant inspections, health permits, etc. - and in additionl I think you have to do something with the ATF.

In the end, it's just not worth it. You would most likely have to invest hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars into permits and licenses, not to mention a facility subject to health inspections, government approval on labels, etc.

Unless you have a plan in place to get the space to brew batches of 2bbl or larger it would be difficult (if not impossible) to keep up with even moderate demand for your beer if you're brewing 10 gallon batches at a time.

Some links that might help you:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/selling-homebrew-1205/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/selling-my-beer-86978/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/there-anybody-out-there-thats-sold-homebrew-88824/

Two methods without messy government forms:
1. You wait until the Constitution is amended forbidding all forms of alcohol sale and distribution. You then go to the nearest dark alley and wait until a dark shadowy figure approaches you with an established, underground distribution network. You then accept whatever price they are willing to offer and begin the enjoyment of your riches. Don't mess up the supply chain, or some even more shadowy figures named Smith, Wesson, and Remington show up at your house in the wee hours to notify you that you are no longer on retainer.

2. You brew and market your product on the "downlow" bypassing every local, state and federal law that has already been enacted. Hope your business "partner" can keep his mouth shut while you both enjoy the higher profit margins. Understand that in a state of drunkeness he will shoot his mouth off to the wrong person, thus creating a situation where Sgt. Joe Friday and Uncle Sam show up at your house at the wee hours notifying you that you need to keep a lawyer on retainer.

All kidding aside, from the other threads that have been started on this topic it sounds like you have to jump through some serious hoops on a local, state and national level. At that point it is no longer a hobby, but work. If you have the perseverance and some good business skills, then maybe it is what you are looking for and congratulations are in order. I know I would frequent an establishment or purchase brews from an established HBT member that took the legal route.

In the end, it's just not worth it. You would most likely have to invest hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars into permits and licenses, not to mention a facility subject to health inspections, government approval on labels, etc.

Unless you have a plan in place to get the space to brew batches of 2bbl or larger it would be difficult (if not impossible) to keep up with even moderate demand for your beer if you're brewing 10 gallon batches at a time.

There is a big difference between selling your home brew and going pro on a small scale. The former is what the OP asked about, and you are doubtless right that it wouldn't be worth the effort just to sell some home brew.

But the latter case is a different story. The licensing requirements might be worth it to you to go pro on a small scale. You wouldn't necessarily need to be brewing 2bbl or larger either. The article on page 54 of the December 2008 BYO called Professional Homebrewers, brewing commercially at a homebrew scale profiles three guys who did it. Two of them are brewing under 1bbl. It could provide some inspiration to anyone wanting to turn their hobby into a business on a small scale.

Admittedly, that is not "selling your home brew", but small-scale pro is still an interesting concept that is not far removed.

Trust me,I have nor the skill to sell or the desire to jump through hoops, and the like. I only poised a question out of curiosity. I actually was proposition at a small wine shop when I mention I was making had cider. Just was looking to see what was the dealio.

Back