Fermentation for California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
I have had my Cali common in the Primary for 10 days now. At the height of fermentation it was at a steady 63F. Now that fermentation has slowed or stopped it is at a steady 58-59F.
My question is should I bother to rack to a secondary and should I let it sit for a longer time than normal since I used Wyeast 2112 lager yeast? I read some posts and people were letting their commons go for over a month in the secondary while others were not.
By the way 57-58F is the coolest place in my house (basement).

I want to make sure to do this one right.

Thanks,
Dustin

Well, I'd leave it in primary for at least a few more days anyway.

The yeast will do very well at those temperatures. With the one I'm drinking now, I left it in primary about 3 weeks, then dropped the temperature to the high 40s. It really came out well!

I kegged this batch, so I didn't use a secondary. You can if you want, or you can keep it where it is for about 3 weeks.

Hey Yooper thanks.
I wish I could drop the temp down to the 40's but I simply can't right now. I have a fridge in my garage but it is useless right now in the cold winter months. I will certainly make use of it in the summer though.

Here's to hoping that it will turn out well without the drop in temp.

Oh, I didn't drop the temp on purpose! I had it in the high 50's and then stuck it in my laundry room at I thought mid-50s. When I went to keg it, the fermometer read "47". I knew that room was a bit chilly!

Your steam beer will do very well where it is now- just let it sit longer than most ales, since it's at a cool temperature and it needs the extra time. That was my point- but I do tend to ramble!

I just racked mine into secondary a few days ago after going 19 days in primary with the same yeast as you. I'll leave it there until I finish one of my kegs. Probably another week or two. I'm keeping it in a room where the temp is about 59F.

Back