How badly overcarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Bottled an OctoberFast a few days ago. I had 5.75 gallons, so I boiled approx 5.75 oz of corn sugar and proceeded. Put sugar in my bottling bucket, then my beer. Once I got it all in, it only amounted to 5.25 gal as I didn't account for trub. My question is how overcarbed will I be? I've had trouble with gushers a couple times and its pissing me off. Hope I didn't ruin it!

The calculator on Northern Brewer calls for 4.65 ounces so I would say you have definitely over done the sugar addition. I don't think one ounce per gallon is a constant. There are many variables. Check out some online priming calculators.

I would be careful with these until you know what you have. Put them in a storage box with a lid and after 3 weeks carefully chill one to check the carbonation.

Any way I could take the caps off now, release pressure so to speak, and then recap?

I wouldn't worry about it. I put it in beer smith and it called for 5.14 oz of sugar so to might be a bit over your desired amount of co2 but I wouldn't personally worry about it.

You'll be at about 2.7 volumes of CO2. It's on the high end for the style, but not off much from where you would have been with 5.75 gallons.

Well, I checked 1 bottle today on day 4. It slowly/eventually gushed out. Again it was very slow. But, I don't like that obviously. I poured it into a glass and the head was about right. I put it all in the fridge, hoping to put a stop to the carbonation. Any advice? Evidently I put more in than I thought. I have continually had problems with bottling. From now on I am going to err on the low side by a decent margin.
I need an aide to help me when bottling!!!!
Any advice?

Back