Can the manifold be soldered onto the tap in the mash tun and stay there for good? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
We have just made a manifold but my friend decided to solder the manifold with a piece of copper to the actual base of the tap. I can screw the tap off but the manifold is attached to the base of the tap and cant really be removed. I am wondering if this is okay in the long run. I can use water and chemipro (active oxigen) to clean and sanitize. So...I guess it should be okay. Do you guys agree?

Technically is *should* be fine as long as you can find a method of cleaning and sanitizing that does a good job.

But here is the very important part:

The mash tun is PRE boil, so your level of clean/sanitizing can be MUCH lower than that for POST boil equipment. I just run hose water through my manifold and rinse out the mash tun, wiping the sides with a washrag to wipe the stuff off. That's it.

So my opinion is, if you like the way it WORKS, then it's fine.

I'm with Homer on this one. An occasional rinse in star san and a good thorough rub a dub dub will be sufficient since it is on the unsterilized side of your system. Once the wort leaves there and gets boiled cleanliness becomes a cardinal issue. Where youre at in the process is not dangerous and should not risk contaminating your brew.

Wheelchair Bob

I just dump it then rinse it out with a hose most of the time. When it starts looking a bit crusty then I will hit it with some oxygen cleaner and a sponge.

I just dump it then rinse it out with a hose most of the time. When it starts looking a bit crusty then I will hit it with some oxygen cleaner and a sponge.

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "crusty"?

Back