Off Flavors and how to look for that taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
:tank:I just had a quick question for everyone out there in beer land. I have been reading a lot about brewing and have finished palmer's book and also yeast by White and Zainasheff.. I feel really good the more and more I brew, but the only thing I still strive to understand all are the different off flavors: (tannins, esters, diacetyl, astringent, phenolic etc etc). I have read and read about them and have an idea of how they taste but not really. I was curious if anyone out there has examples of ways to actually taste these flavors separately (I read somewhere about artifical butter and put it some light beer for diacetyl taste). Someone had said to me at one point that you can buy vials that contain all these off flavors so you know how to describe what your tasting when drinking it. Has anyone heard of this or has ideas to get a better understanding on how to sample all these so you know what its like in a beer. Or even mixing stuff in beers that would yield these flavors? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tasted a couple off flavors all too much. Green apple once, and a strong alcohol bite with a harsh after taste several times. Im thinking the alcohol and harshness was from too hot of a fermentation and have that one handled now. Im hoping I never get too good at recognizing them in my beers, meaning I wanna make beer with out them. (Im crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes it doesnt happen again) And best of luck to you in not having to learn them either!

I have tasted a couple off flavors all too much. Green apple once, and a strong alcohol bite with a harsh after taste several times. Im thinking the alcohol and harshness was from too hot of a fermentation and have that one handled now. Im hoping I never get too good at recognizing them in my beers, meaning I wanna make beer with out them. (Im crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes it doesnt happen again) And best of luck to you in not having to learn them either!

ha thanks! I think i just like to know when i taste beers what those flavors are and what to look for

Back