Is it possible to have ABV of 5% and not taste it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Last night I bottled my blueberry wheat and due to my calculations of hydrometer readings it states that I have 5.6% but it tasted like a very light beer... This is the first time I dont taste the alcohol.... Is it possible that the Blueberry is overpowering the taste of alcohol?

I honestly can't tell there's any alcohol in just about all of my beers below 8% or so. Did you control fermentation temps on this batch better than your previous ones? Warm fermentation temps can lead to fusel alcohols, which are definitely perceptible no matter what the abv.

I don't own a cooler yet which is why I make ales instead of lagers because I don't have a way of controlling the temperature but I know that its always been below the 78 degrees.

I've made a 14.5% beer where the alcohol was barely perceptible! This could definitely be the case for you as well.

It's possible the blueberry is overpowering the taste of the alcohol but I don't think I would perceive blueberries to be a strong flavour component of a beer like that. It's more likely you've done something right so that the flavours are properly balanced. Well done!

I've made a 14.5% beer where the alcohol was barely perceptible! This could definitely be the case for you as well.

It's possible the blueberry is overpowering the taste of the alcohol but I don't think I would perceive blueberries to be a strong flavour component of a beer like that. It's more likely you've done something right so that the flavours are properly balanced. Well done!

Thank you Now I have a huge smile and cant wait for the two weeks to pass so I can start drinking :) :ban:

I don't own a cooler yet which is why I make ales instead of lagers because I don't have a way of controlling the temperature but I know that its always been below the 78 degrees.

78 is way too warm for most any fermentation. Based on my limited info, my guess is that you have become accustomed to fusel alcohols in your beer and the blueberry is covering them up in this particular beer.

I recently made a pumpkin ale and I can't taste any alcohol at all in it and the hop flavor is all but indistinguishable.
Not sure if I like it because I wanted a slight spicy hop taste to it but my calculations apparently were not figuring the pumpkin as being as big a factor as it ended up being.

So yes, some flavors can easily hide others from coming to the front.

Most of my ales are over 5% & I don't taste the alcohol. No fusels or any of that. I think beers have to be pretty high in ABV before you can taste it or feel some real warmth from it.

Back